SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dan09_gw

Briggs and Stratton Carburetor Leak

15 years ago

I have a mower with a Briggs Vanguard 18 HP V-twin (model# 350777, type 1048-E2) engine that has a slow but continuous leak from the carburetor when the engine is NOT running. The gas comes from inside the throat of the carb on the air filter side. Thinking this was due to the float sticking, I pulled the carb and had it rebuilt at a local small eng. repair shop. This included replacing the float needle. After re-assembling, it still has the same leak. The mechanic says this may be due to a bad fuel pump that is letting too much gas through when the engine is off.

I would like to ask if there is some way to check this vacuum fuel pump before shelling out $50 for a new one, When I disconnect the fuel line between the pump and the carb.,a very small but steady stream of gas comes out of the pump until I shut off the valve. If I turn the engine over with the starter, the stream is just a little bit larger and broken into droplets but it doesn't really surge or spurt with the engine strokes like I thought it might. BTW, the engine idles & runs very well at full speed with good power. It's just that I'm tired of killing the grass when I forget to turn off the gas line at the tank when I stop mowing.

Does it sound like the pump is bad or could it be that the carb rebuild job was botched? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (6)