SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markymark_ca

Update: Servicing a Scotts 42' Hydro Gear trannie

markymark-ca
13 years ago

Month or so back I did not like the way my Scotts 42" hydrostat trannie sounded.

It hardly moved to the rear and struggled forward. I could feel grinding thru the deck.

So on a whim I pulled the trans and drained it.

Not sure what to refill it with I settled upon Walmart house-brand 20/50 with a good shot of Lucas Automatic Transmission treatment.

First day back together was poor. The trans continued to grind but once it warmed up it began to run smoothly. Several subsequent days after sitting--it again would grind and not move smoothly until fully warmed up.

I was tempted to pull the trans again--this time use 10-40 Mobil 1.

A week or so back I had a chance to move the mower. Upon firing up it promptly went into reverse without a hitch.

Hmmmmmm---so I creeped it forward --without jerking without grinding. Engine hardly had come off choke and the trans was smooth, quiet, moving without jerks, and no grinding.

I mowed the lawns. Let it sit. Two days later fired it up and it was smooth. Very smooth. Weather was chilly so the oil would of been cold. As before, I had to wait until it was fully warmed up. Maybe close to 20 minutes before it began to operate correctly---or even go into reverse.

Today, it again, smooth. Quiet.

I'm happy.

Case closed.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions