SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_ma_gw

Simplicity vs. Deere

dave_ma
17 years ago

Just some random thoughts after using my neighbor's John Deere "L" series tractor:

I have a 3 year old Simplicity Broadmoor. My neighbor has a new (last Fall) JD that he bought at Lowes for ~$1,700. I was using my push mower the other day since my tractor blades were at the shop getting sharpened. My neighbor comes driving over with his "L" and smugly says with a "green" grin "what's the matter...your tractor not working?" I politely told him "no" everything's OK, I'm just getting the blades sharpened professionally like I usually do at the beginning of each season (I'll do minor filing of the blades myself throughout the year). He replied "oh, I should probably do that, but I don't know how to take the mower deck off". Then he offered to let me use his tractor so I'd finish faster. I said no several times, but he was so insistent that I finally caved in.

1 - The "L" is LOUD compared to my Simplicity.

2 - The steering is slow and heavy.

3 - The hydro tranny & pedals are no where near as smooth.

4 - The ride is rough even over small bumps in the lawn.

5 - The seat is not very comfortable.

6 - It has that stupid "mow in reverse" button to push.

To be fair, the mower deck was OK in cutting my lawn.

Now, I know some people will say that I'm not comparing apples to apples since the Simplicity cost twice as much as the "L". But here's the kicker...this is my neighbor's SECOND "L". The transmission died last year on his first "L" that was a few years old. The quote to fix the tranny was almost $800, plus the mower deck was really rusting, so he bought a new one instead. He got the new one at Lowes, the first one came from HD (yeah, that will make a big difference). Plus, he had already complained in the past that the local JD dealer had put him at the back of the line when he needed service because he hadn't purchased the tractor from the dealer. I certainly don't blame the dealer for that...I would do the same thing, especially since he could have purchased the "L" from the dealer for the same price.

My intent of the post isn't really to bash the "L", rather to reaffirm the old sayings that "you get what you pay for" or "penny wise and pound foolish". And I'm sure I will be quietly enjoying my Simplicity for years to come while others are on their third, fourth, or fifth "L" series tractor...ultimately having paid much more than I did.

I'm definitely NOT green with envy.

-Dave

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions