SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queenllama

American Sycamore? Chippers and Mulchers?

QueenLlama
10 years ago

So we have now been in our new house for almost a year. There's not a lot of lawn, but there is an American Sycamore in front and another in back. So summer is bark shedding season. When bark shedding season stops, at the end of August, leaf shedding season starts up. Bottom line, between July and December, I am going to be doing a lot of raking. This is adding up to bags and bags of crispy, thin chunks of bark, and then bags and bags of leaves, not just in the fall but in summer, too.

I'd love to turn this stuff into mulch. But what I have been reading about mulchers, shredders, and chippers within my budget is not very encouraging. I want elecric, not gas, but the electrics seems to be low on power and finicky. It seems like light shredders designed for leaves won't be able to take the bark. Most electric chippers capable of dealing with the bark aren't suited to taking leaves in large quantities. All of these machines seem to be pretty high-maintenance. I hate the idea of hauling a rental machine out here myself more than once a year, though that at least would mean the maintenance would be someone else's problem. Would it make more sense just to contract with a landscaping contractor to bring a big shredder once a month and shred it all for us?

If I had a lot of land, I would just make a huge leaf/bark pile and let it all compost slowly by itself. But we don't quite have enough land for that, and I think it would offend our neighbor, Mr. Neat N. Tidy.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

This post was edited by QueenLlama on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 16:31

Comments (5)