SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwein

Poison Ivy in middle of my rose

mwein
15 years ago

I would dearly appreciate any advice on how to remove poison ivy growing right in the middle of my shrub rose. Also, another question about the infamous japanese beetles which will be emerging in late June here. Is there a reliable remedy to rid them before they devour my roses?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (20)

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

this is what I would do. I'd love to hear other approaches.

Put on a long sleeved shirt and long pants, socks and closed shoes. Tie your hair back so it will not get in your face. Get some disposable gloves - I'd put on two pairs. Prune any lower branches that may cause you do get pricked while you're pulling out the p.i.

Get on your hands and knees and trace the poison ivy down to the roots and pull it out. Dig around and make sure you got it all. Put the entire thing into a bag and throw it away. Throw away the gloves. Do not touch your face with the gloves. Do not burn the p.i.

Go inside. Wash your hands, wrists and arms as well as face with Technu Extreme. Take a shower.

Wash your clothes twice. Keep checking back to see if it comes back.

I hate poison ivy and am really sensitive to it.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Also safety goggles to protect your eyes, just in case.

• Related Discussions

Is this poison ivy in my roses?

Q

Comments (21)
    I agree with maple. I also agree that Poison Ivy has many disguises. PI in my experience has long suckering roots. Put on gloves and give it a yank. Get some disposable gloves that you can carefully remove and discard. If it's a maple seedling it will come right out and will not have a long or deep root. In any case, if you do have any suspicion that it is PI, don't spray but use a brush to paint the weed killer on the leaves. Don't use ordinary Round Up, use a chemical labeled for poison ivy. This post was edited by ratdogheads on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 21:07
    ...See More

Reminder To Self: Dead Poison Ivy Is Still Poisonous

Q

Comments (4)
    Oooh so sorry!!!!! Awful stuff. To ID later... Spray paint pink after the herbicide dries? Take pics? Put a little sign for yourself back there, to remind? Have someone else do it? Pull sprouts more often? Not everything in nature makes sense, but this cruel trick of still poisonous dead leaves and vines is especially perplexing to me. The only acceptable disposal for me, this yard, is plastic bag sent to landfill. We recycle and compost, but that's not an option for something that has the potential to make me so sick for an unknown amount of time past its' death. Do not burn, urishiol can become airborne this way.
    ...See More

Pesty poison ivy in hyssop plant

Q

Comments (2)
    If it's too small to show up, put 3 layers of plastic shopping bag up over your arm & pull it out. Use the other hand to pull the bags down around it, enclosing it. Tie shut, wash well just in case.
    ...See More

I think I have poison ivy IN my turf lawn! Help!!

Q

Comments (1)
    This is what I have done in the past. I get paper plates and make a cut from the edge to the centerpoint. Then I slip the leaf or part of the vine through the slit up to the centerpoint. It gives me a backstop when i apply the roundup.
    ...See More
  • akewa
    15 years ago

Also you might want a paper breath mask so you do not inhale any. That would not be fun.

• berndoodle
    15 years ago

Add to that list "Keep the pets out of it." My dogs give my poison oak every summer. By the time I have a sleepless night itching before I can get in to see the doctor, pay the dermatologist for the visit, buy the presnisone and take it for 10 days,....it's worth it to hire someone who isn't sensitive to poison ivy/oak to remove it.

• hartwood
    15 years ago

I have used Round-up to kill bushels of poison ivy here on the farm, in the process of reclaiming the place from the overgrowth of nasty invasives. You don't have to actually remove the poison ivy from the rose unless you want to -- you can use a disposable paint brush to apply brush-control strength Round-up to the leaves you can reach, and the rest of the plant should be dead with a couple of weeks. Be extremely careful not to get any Round-up on the leaves or green growth of your rose. I have read that the remains of dead poison ivy can still cause allergic reactions up to two years after it dies. I find that it's much easier to avoid contact with the dead stems that it is to work around the bright green leaves.

Connie

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

I had thought about using ru and painting the stems of the pi. But then I've also read experiences of people who say they have had the round up travel through the soil and cause damage to their roses, even if though the ru was only painted on the stems of weeds/pi - even at some distance away.

Has that happened to anyone? I think it's curious. I'm not at all opposed to round up, by the way. If I had bushloads of pi, I'd use it too.

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

My DH uses RU and he paints the leaves as suggested by Connie--He has been able to almost eradicate the nasty stuff but this year I do have a little near one of my roses. Prior to this it has not been near my roses but now I'm worried if it can travel and hurt a valuable plant.
    I never use chemicals except for PI which can be very painful for me.

Florence

• hartwood
    15 years ago

Round-up is only lethal to the plants if it comes into actual contact with a green, growing portion of it. To my understanding, and that of my horticulture professor, it does not travel through the soil, and does not persist in the environment. I believe all the talk about the dangers of glyphosate are prompted by larger-scale agricultural use of the chemical, not home hobby gardeners.

The winery next door to me uses Round-up to control weeds in their vineyard -- spraying a band of the chemical at the base of the vines. Because the vines at that level are barky, they are unaffected and all the weeds and grass are dead.

Put some Round-up on leaves you can reach. They'll absorb the chemical and translocate it to the roots and the poison ivy will die. Don't get too crazy thinking you have to paint every leaf -- whatever you can get to should be enough to do the job. If this doesn't kill the entire plant and you have to do it a second time, at least the part of the plant closest to you will be dead, and it will be safer to reach past it to get to the rest. Give the first coat a couple of weeks to completely do its job, however, before you decide to do another round.

Connie

• alisande
    15 years ago

I'd use the Roundup approach. If you go the dig-it-up route, you might run the risk of getting sprayed in the face with the oil. You wouldn't necessarily be aware of it. This is what happened to me some years ago when I dug with a trowel into very old poison ivy roots. (The vines had been dead for years.) I got a face full of the oil, but didn't realize it until I broke out in the rash the next day. What a mess.

• duchesse_nalabama
    15 years ago

Connie, do you think the ru travelling to the roots of the pi, entwined with the feeder roots of the rose, could cause any damage to the rose?

• buford
    15 years ago

I would do both. The disposable glove thing is a great idea and also use some plastic grocery bags to put in any of the plant you remove.

I removed some PI that was growing near a butterfly bush that way, both pulling and putting RU on the open stem.

As far as RU transferring, I have been using RU in a spot to eradicate cross vine. I cut out what I could, but it's invaded and spreads underground. So I resorted to putting undiluted RU on the open stems. A rose I planted nearby showed signs of RU damage. I suppose it's possible I dripped some on or too close to the rose, but I'm being more careful now.

• berndoodle
    15 years ago

Connie, I think the literature from RU says it does not transfer from the soil. But I'm almost certain that I read a study somewhere that established that it persists longer than advertised and that intimate contact of the root systems can transfer RU to plants in close contact with the target. It was a rose study, IIRC. I know someone will remember it.

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    15 years ago

I painted lots of clover near a rose. All of the clover died. The rose experienced herbicide damage in all of the new leaves that grew several months later... The rose is fine however, it just takes a while to bounce back...

• chuck_billie
    15 years ago

Round up will not travel to the roots of the Rose.
    It works by stopping photosynthesis which is why you don't want it coming in contact with anything green.
    Paint all of the leaves you can safely, and even repeat it if necessary then the PI should die.

• roseman
    15 years ago

I would very, very carefully paint the poison ivy leves with RoundUp, being very careful not to get any on the rose bush. The Roundup will kill the PI without disturbing the rose bush. As far as the JB's are concerned, there is one way to deal with them around your home and that's Milky Spore. What flies in is another matter, but the immediate area should not produce any.

• garren20
    15 years ago

Round up will neutralize it self when it comes in contact with the soil. so do not get any on the rose and you will be fine. it also can not transfer itself to the rose trough roots. the roots are seperat from the rose they are sealed so to speak.

as for grubs.... do not use milkie spore unless that is the only product you want to use to control insects in your yard. if you decide to use a different insecticide later it will kill the milkie spore and you will loose your investment. i have been doing some research on milkie spore and found out it only kills japanese beattle grubs and only these grubs, nothing else.

do a little reserch on the net and you will find the same info i did.

thanks
    Gary In Missouri

• williamcartwright
    15 years ago

How does using Round Up help if you still need to physically remove the Poison Ivy?

Especially as one post noted the PI still has oils after it is dead?

I don't see how spraying an herbicide helps the situation. What am I missing?

Bill

• buford
    15 years ago

Bill, it's almost impossible to remove the entire plant and root system. And it will grow back. So you remove what you can (to lessen the chance of contact later) and then put RU on the exposed part of the stump. This then travels down to the root system and hopefully kills it. I did this successfully on some PI that was growing entwined in a butterfly bush. It hasn't come back, not yet anyway.

• williamcartwright
    15 years ago

Thanks Buford, that makes sense. I didn't realize the roots were so difficult to get rid up.

I'm pretty sure I'm immune to Poison Oak/Poison Ivy as I've had some bad exposures and others I've been with have gotten it pretty bad, while I haven't.

I'd give you a hand Marilena, but I'm more afraid of Round Up than Poison Ivy ;-)

Bill

• rose_nutty
    15 years ago

I've used Roundup via paintbrush method repeatedly in and around my roses with no negative consequences whatsoever. We have a devil-weed here called bullnettle. It is perennial, and 3 will come up from each tiny little piece of root that remains in the soil. I've had them grow directly in the crown of a hybrid tea and have painted them to kill them with no damage to the rose.