SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard55_gw

24 hp Briggs & Stratton

richard55
15 years ago

I purchased a Husqvarna with a 21 hp Briggs & Stratton. While still under warranty I had taken it back to Lowe's on numerous occasions because of excessive smoking and using a plethora of oil. The initial wait time was two months. Then I got it back and it started doing the same thing even before I got the grass mowed. After another wait of about two weeks they delivered me another mower... same problem. Eventually the warranty ran out and then I had to start paying out of my own pocket. The initial problem was the air filter system, which was seriously flawed. I read several other complaints about this and couldn't believe that Briggs & Stratton didn't recall them. I went to a new mechanic who just happened to have a Briggs & Stratton representative there. They replaced the motor with a 24 hp with a different air filter system. It is minorly better. After three years of owning this POS, I have probably been able to mow the grass three times in a row without having to take it to the shop. I meticulously change the oil and check the air filter. I usually mow for about an hour and it starts running poorly and sure enough the air filter needs cleaning, so I do this on a regular basis. I also perform as much maintenance as I can, but I'm not too much into carburetion. I have probably spent as much on maintenance as the original price for the damn thing! I can only recall one other POS I had that was worse than this -- a 1976 Honda MR175 that I pushed more than I rode.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions