SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johninmd

UPDATE on daughters Scotts that was ran low on oil

johninmd
14 years ago

Ok, first i have no pics, they dropped engine off at my house and i don't have a camera.

Second, i found the problem, and i do not know if it was due to low oil or not, might never be able to tell, i dunno.

I opened the bottom end first, nothing wrong, then i pulled the valve cover, inside was a exhaust valve spring, and retainer, rattling around unattached.

Pulled head off, and from inside cylinder, i retrieved the exhaust valve, in 3 pieces. I thought Oh good, will be a easy fix, then upon looking into the valve seat area of the head, the valve guide is also gone...

I retrieved the valve guide from inside the muffler, in about 30 pieces, no valve seal was ever found, nor the small metal cap that sits on top of the valve (if the exhaust has one like the intake valve does)

The piston top, and inside of head are scarred up but nothing that would hurt.Cylinder walls look fine.

first questionon this is, the valve guide replaceable? and by me? any question to its ability to stay in place if i "can" get one and replace it?

So i would need:

new exhaust valve

new valve spring retainer (old one has center hole broken out)

new cap for valve (if it has one)

new valve guide

head, valve cover, and bottom end gaskets

and a valve seal.

Think it is worth fixing? its a 17 hp Intek single.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions