SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boxcar_grower

Rion and Modine Hot Dawg

boxcar_grower
14 years ago

I have a 8 x 16 rion professional greenhouse that I built last winter. I have been thrilled with it. Last spring I purchased a dayton propane space heater for the cold spring mornings here in Western Massachusetts. It does the job just fine. It is vent free which I am not thrilled with and the worst part is there is no thermostat.

Last year I started all of my plants indoors and moved them to the greenhouse in April. This year I want to start some plants in the greenhouse in March. March in New England is still very much winter. I contacted a few heating contractors and they all seem to think the Modine Hot Dawg would be my best bet. Two things about it that I dont like are it needs 115V of power and it needs to be hung. The electricity is not too much of a problem I can run power out there in the spring when the ground freezes but that is spring! The hanging of the unit is an issue because there is not a ton of head room and the PVC frame and polycarb panels are not overly rigid to support 60 lbs of weight. I could build a stand but that will take up more floor space.

So here is my question, do any of you have a hot dawg in your greenhouse? if so, how is it mounted? Rion owners, how do you heat your greenhouses?

I really though that the empire RH-35 floor mount would be the best bet but everyone tells me they are not for humid/moist places.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting