SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

Do rose names influence you?

teeandcee
14 years ago

While the name would never stop me from buying a rose I really wanted, I admit I'm extra happy when I like/love the name. For instance, I'd like a Linda Campbell but really dislike the name (for a rose, that is. No offense to the real Linda Campbell). I love all those French gallica names even though, I suppose, for the French they may be just a boring old French name.

Grandmother's Hat is another. I just adore that name and would love to grow the rose for the name alone.

And it doesn't get any better than Highway 290 Pink Buttons. I bet AE sold a lot of those based on that name alone. I understand they've ID'd it but I'm coming up blank on the name.

Comments (30)

• dmny
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The rugosa 'Scabrosa' is one of those roses with a turn-off name. Yuck, what was that breeder thinking?

• malibu_rose
    14 years ago

Sometimes I purchase roses just because I am attracted to their names. I didn't know anything about these two roses when I bought them "Ceske Praci Cest", Futtacher Schlingrose" but I like strange sounding names! And what could be cuter than "White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth"? By the way, I have Linda Campbell because I read somewhere that Mr. Ralph Moore, its creator, said she was almost perfect.

• Related Discussions

Do any of you guys ever post in the name that rose forum?

Q

Comments (8)
    I posted in that forum and got several answers, one of which was spot-on. I guess it helps to give as much info as you can about the rose. In my case, I was pretty sure it began with an "S" (the marker was still there but had faded to almost nothing) and it was bought from J&P in the last 10 years. That helped me make a positive ID after I read the suggestions and looked at the pictures on HMF. My own picture wasn't even all that great (a fully opened bloom, beginning to fade) but it still was enough.
    ...See More

Are you unduly Influenced by color names?

Q

Comments (91)
    I don't think I have ever been influenced by color names. Other than the most used media for my art, but they never change names other than adding new colors. Am very visual and the color itself wins, never the name. How much are we paying these marketeers to come up with names? Admission I bought a ton of upholstery fabric with the name sorghum, which looked and sounded like a long ago syrup loved. But it turned out to be a deep majestic purple rather than an amber hue. Thankfully my daughter loves purple. Not much creativity or marketing pull with the name, other than pulling me in.
    ...See More

Cabinet Wood Type Name Influence

Q

Comments (1)
    Gee yoyo... it's nice to know that someone else out there has wondered about such incongruous things besides me!
    ...See More

What influences colours of roses (Strawchicago,can you help?)

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Bart: I no longer post in forum since Feb 1, 2017. I was checking Organic Rose for pics. of Khalid's fabulous roses, and saw your question. I won't be in for a long discussion, but I copy-paste the info. which I gave in the past regarding the same question. If you click on my profile-picture, I listed all the links pertaining to most subjects, which I will include your question in that "database", listed in my Houzz-profile. Thank you for asking that question, which people often asked me in the past. Here's the info. I posted in September 4, 2016: "When Khalid asked me a question about shifting roses to the blue zone. I did some research and found that high-phosphorus shifts roses to the red-zone, but high-potassium shifts roses to the blue-zone. I tried UP the sulfate of potash NPK 0-0-50 Stephen Big purple, and yes, Stephen became bluish-purple, rather than raspberry-red. The link also stated that UP the phosphorus will DOWN the potassium. Thus if phosphorus is given, MORE potassium is needed, since phosphorus and potassium compete for the same absorption site in plants. My best year for pots is with blood meal NPK 12-0-0, much higher in nitrogen than Milorganite NPK of 5-2-0. U. of Kentucky experiment with green house plants, using Peter's Soluble 20-10-20 came 1st, with Organic Omega 6-6-6 came in close second .. strictly based on the weight of flowers & plants. But when I look at the pics. of their marigolds, Omega 6-6-6 look healthier & better-looking blooms. Organic Omega 6-6-6 is blood meal, bone meal, and sulfate of potash. Since roses need only 1/10 of phosphorus compared to nitrogen and potassium, I simply used blood meal and sulfate of potash, plus gypsum (for calcium) for my pots last year, resulting in the healthiest growth, even after the snow hit. Zero blackspots, zero mildew even with the cheap Sta-green potting soil that killed most of my rootings." StrawChicago.
    ...See More
  • melissa_thefarm
    14 years ago

I won't buy a rose just because I like its name, nor have I ever failed to buy one because I didn't like its name. However there are a few roses that I might have hesitated to buy on account of their names, the main one that comes to mind being 'Benson and Hedges Gold'. I think that one is really AWFUL. I've always disliked the name 'Sexy Rexy' as well: good thing I never particularly cared for the rose.
    I've lived so long with the grace and poetry of rose names that they've become part of the air I breathe.
    Melissa

• elemire
    14 years ago

It does not influence my decision to buy something, but I find some names that include numbers unappealing, like Eden Rose 88.

Also I do not like cheesy names like Chippendale, Knockout, Congratulations, Warm Wishes or 'You and Me Together' (this one is actually hydrangea, but I added it for particular horridness).

I also dislike tags like Romantica or Renaissance®, they sound somewhat fake, as if retailer tried to sell a crappy rose with a fancy tag.

• mariannese
    14 years ago

I can't remember ever having been put off by a rose name enough not to buy the rose. The ugliest rose name I know is Knirps (Little chap) only because of the dull sound. The stupidest rose name is Blue Parfum with its mix of English and French. I can't imagine how one is supposed to say it and keep a straight face.

I think Sexy Rexy is a rather funny name because of the background. Sam McGredy IV, the hybridizer, used to give his seedlings nicknames, long before the final decision was made to sell or reject a variety. The nickname was usually changed before marketing but in this case the Europeans asked him to keep the name. Rex Hotchin was an old mate of Sam's and Sam asked him if it was alright with him. He laughed and said go ahead. Sam gave Rex all the awards and medals that the rose won and he displayed them in his living room. The rose lived up to its name, it is a very good seed parent, parent to 36 varieties.

• lovemysheltie
    14 years ago

Some names are really horrendous. I hate 'The Aspirin Rose' and 'Fisherman's Friend' especially. But they don't really bother me because I end up renaming my roses depending on their personality (see the thread about Are Roses People?).

For eg when I grew Frau Karl Druschki, I never called him that because, first of all, he's a very 'handsome' rose, so 'Frau' seems wrong. Secondly, he had long thorny canes that never failed to make a grab for me. Thirdly, he shone and glinted in a dark part of my garden reminding me of a bad-tempered creature. So I started calling him 'The dragon'. Sure, when I mentioned him on the forums I'd say his proper name but at home it was always "The Dragon needs more water", "Can you help me prune the Dragon?" etc.

Almost half my roses have been renamed by me because I don't agree with their 'real' names whether the real names are decent or hideous :P

• annabeth
    14 years ago

I love this post! I am affected by names and more than a little influenced. When an HT loving friend of mine's dog died, I picked up a rose called Lasting Love. I usually don't care too much for names on roses like that either but in this case I thought it appropriate. It turned out to be a great rose: very fragrant and a nice cerise color. She went to the nursery and bought two more.

I second the opinion about numbers in the name. William Shakespeare 2000...? If its a new version of the old William Shakespeare, why couldn't he just call it something else? "The Bard" perhaps? But maybe that's already taken or something.

How about the french, german, and italian names? I admit I love saying Variegata di Bologna in the best Italian accent I can muster, much like Giada de Laurentis does when she says "spaghetti". Ghislaine de Feligonde is twice as interesting a rose to me because of the story of the lady it was named for-true or not. Any rose with a d'Or in it also intrigues me: Perle d'Or, Reve d'Or, Soleil d'Or (golden pearl, golden dream, golden sun). I thought it would be fun to grow the clematis Perle d'Azur (blue pearl) on the rose Perle d'Or. Speaking of gems also reminds me of Opal Brunner or The King's Rubies.

I also like eponymous roses: I bought "Charlotte" for my daughter Charlotte and "Sarah" for my daughter Sarah. I want to get "Lamarque" for my husband, Mark. I got my sister, Mary, "The Mary Rose". My husband, who isn't a big rose lover (nothing against them, he just doesn't share my fascination), nevertheless wants the rose called "Old Port" because he loves Port. He acquired a taste for it after reading Patrick O'Brian's novels. I'd like to get "The Dahlia Rose" because of my other botanical interest of dahlias and for the fact that it does look a little like a dahlia (at least in pics).

Have you read "A Rose by Any Name" by Stephen Scaniello and Douglas Brenner? I read it last year and I actually am tempted to pick it up and read it again. I admit that that book influenced my decision to acquire "Gloire de Dijon".

That brings up all the french names that begin with "Gloire" and "Souvenir" or the German "Gruss".

Titles of nobility are fascinating too: "Duchesse", "Comte", "Reine", "Archduc", "Baronne", "Marquise" or the italian "Marchesa", and the various "Koningen"s and "Kronprinzessin"s.

I have one rose that I got free with a mail order from High Country Roses. They gave it for free because they couldn't identify it. It bothers me. I want to know what it is! I admit I don't give it the same spot in my heart as roses I can identify. When it starts blooming (looking like very soon) I'll have to post pics for an ID.

At the same time, found roses fascinate me even though we don't know what they are. I guess because there is the possibility that they might be long-thought extinct roses, brought lovingly a century ago from old countries. Or they could be new sports that flourish in rough spots like Angel's Camp or Fiddletown or cultivated suburbia like Glendora. Imagining the history is fascinating.

Sorry to be so long...I just got excited.

Annabeth

• aimeekitty
    14 years ago

that's so funny about sexy rexy! That makes me like it a lot more.

Me... don't laugh too hard now, but I'm a sci-fi fan and I like Doctor Who. When I saw there was a rose called "The Doctor" I felt like I -had- to have it. I've resisted so far, but I think that it's cute enough that I could bear having it. haha.

I kind of like William Shakespeare 2000 because it sounds like... WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE TO THE FUTURE! AND BEYOND! ;)

I'm also a sucker for the fancy pants French names like Annabeth mentioned.

... I also tend to talk to myself (and the plants) while gardening... so I tend to say "Madame, how are you doing this morning?" or "what's up, la reine?" that sort of thing.

but other than The Doctor, I don't think I really buy roses based on the name. and I'd still buy one I really loved if it had a horrible name.

I was joking with a friend while we were going through a rose garden and I said... what if they named it something HORRIBLE? or really silly? Like a little kid insult name like Booger-face or something. But if it was a really pretty rose... some people would still buy it. But I bet some wouldn't because of the name. I bet more people buy something if the name is pretty and the rose is pretty, eh? kinda like marketing.

I like finding out about the origins and name origins of rose, too, like Annabeth said.

I agree that Scabrosa is a really big turnoff.

I have three, soon to be four mystery roses. Two have bloomed and I still have no idea what they are. :\ They're in my tiny pot ghetto because I can't bear to give them a place of importance until I know what their names are.

• dmny
    14 years ago

'Tipsy Imperial Concubine' is always good for chuckles.

• User
    14 years ago

This is a yearly subject. I like that there are often multiple names listed for the same rose. I can change them with my mood.
    A friend and I often make up off names for roses with grandiose histories from obscure nurseries in out of the way places. Nothing better than to be the sole grower of La Petite Reticule a centifolia from a small nursery in Dalmatia. The rose commorates a bag lost by Emperess Maria Theresa during a secret visit to Dalmatia which may or may not have happened.
    Or Marat Sade a near perfect white Bourbon there are some blooms with tiny splashes of red available only from the cuttings of Mrs. Muriel Puce of Nyack NY she is a descendant of de Sade.
    Another friend who works at the NY Botanical Gardens longs to name a rose Shtinky Pinky it's what we call any rose regardless of color thats missing name tags.

• mariannese
    14 years ago

I forgot to mention Peaudouce, the older name for Elina. The sponsors were a French maker of baby diapers. Another horrible name is Radox Bouquet, a brand of talcum powder. I bought Peaudouce under that name because it meant nothing to me except the literal meaning "Soft skin" as that particular diaper is not sold in Sweden. I now call it Elina.

• organic_tosca
    14 years ago

Oh, I would almost HAVE to have a rose named 'Dr. Who'!!! Unfortunately, the Doctor will have to wait until one of my other roses dies. Guess he'll just have to keep circling in the Tardis...

Laura

• gardennatlanta
    14 years ago

Yes, and no. If a rose has a name that sounds especially attractive to me, I will take a second look. That doesn't mean I'll end up with the rose in my garden. I think it would be fun to have roses with the names for my children but I won't plant a rose I don't like or seems to be a stingy bloomer or a black spot magnet no matter what the name.

• aimeekitty
    14 years ago

Laura, he went BACK IN TIME to inspire a rose being named after him! Ho ho ho! XD

{{gwi:260946}}

• User
    14 years ago

I would be predisposed to avoid roses named after a 'celebrity' or a brand, anything that had 'n...instead of and, or anything with Krazee spelling.

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

Interesting post-----I too love certain names and especially stories----I bought G de F for the story and the name---it happens to like my shady garden so that makes me happy---

Joe---interesting fact about the deSade relative----do you have the rose?

Florence

• random_harvest
    14 years ago

Yes! Lafter is in my garden because of its name (and because it does so well in the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens).

• carolinamary
    14 years ago

No. It's not the rose's fault if someone didn't give it an inspirational name!

But names just come in handy for helping one to remember which rose it is that looks wonderful enough to remember to order it; a name is easier to remember than, say, a specific number identifier. (Try to remember whether you wanted to buy rose #8753, #8432, or #7893???) If the name of the rose happens to make you think of some quality of the rose, that makes it even easier to recall the name. (Cinco De Mayo is easier than some to remember because it is so clearly a party rose!)

I would be perfectly willing to buy a rose named "Horrible Rose!!!" if I thought it a wonderful rose well suited to a particular spot here. I have already bought one dream of a rose that I think has a rather stodgy name. It's not a stodgy rose either, but one that is friendly and beckoning in every way. (Since it's named after a real person, I'll not mention its name... and no doubt there are plenty of people who wouldn't agree with me that the name sounds stodgy anyway.)

Best wishes,
    Mary

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just to clarify, the only reason I didn't get Linda Campbell this week is because the nursery didn't have any.

I've been thinking about my LC dislike reasoning. I really think if LC was instead named Mrs. Linda Campbell I'd like the name much better. I guess it seems more elegant yet the rose itself isn't really an elegant type. Now that I think of it the original name probably fits the rose well.

Anyway, I bought a be-yoo-tee-ful daylily last week with the ugliest name ever....Canadian Border Patrol. The name brings to mind industrial buildings, uniforms, bureaucracy, etc., not a feminine pink and cream flower.

• melissa_thefarm
    14 years ago

I second Campanula's dislikes. If I ever did happen to get a rose with a horrible name, I think I would have to formally re-name it, perform some kind of ceremony.

We Americans struggle to say 'Variegata di Bologna', but I have an friend who speaks only Italian who has a taste for ramblers, and you should hear him battle with the pronunciations of 'Dawson' and 'Futtacker Schlingrose'.

Melissa

• hartwood
    14 years ago

I have absolutely both bought and avoided certain roses because of their names.

The one that I avoided, until two years ago, was Crepuscule. It sounds to me like something you need to be vaccinated against. It's a wonderful rose, so I decided to just get over it.

Sometimes a rose with two names is a good thing. I dislike Buxom Beauty, so mine is has Parole on its tag.

I have an entire row of roses in my Rose Field dedicated to Disney. The whole collection of Seven Dwarves (thanks, Cliff), Snow White, anchored by Climbing Goldilocks. It's been a great way for parents to get their kids involved in the garden when they visit. It turned out that the dwarves are unbelievably cute and healthy.

I sometimes go for the sappy and/or inspirational names. I have Inspiration, Elegance, Compassion, Freedom, etc. I gave Friends Forever as a gift last year.

Tell me, could you resist Happy Butt? I'll bet you're smiling just reading that sentence.

Connie

• User
    14 years ago

funnily enough, crepuscule is a rose i would buy particularly because of the name. Crepuscule (twilight) is a favourite word along with others such as crystalline, ineffable, pelucid, mellifluous...oh, i could go on.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

I can't bring myself to buy roses named after famous people whose political or religious views I disagree with.

Fortunately for me, I have a smaller yard and there are tons of roses to choose from--so I never have to forego a gorgeous rose just because I dislike the politics of the name associated with it. LOL

Kate

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think if the history behind names was more commonly known I may be more agreeable. I've always hated Sexy Rexy until someone above posted the amusing history.....so I hate it....less. ;D

• gardennatlanta
    14 years ago

Forgot to add, I tried to find a rose called "Passionate Love" because it looked amazing on HMF and because the name reminds me of my wife. BTW, sadly, Passionate Love is not available in commerce.

• mille_fleurs
    14 years ago

How about preposterous names? I finally managed to overlook the name and bought the Canadian rose 'Hope for Humanity' in a clearance sale last year. But the award winner for most preposterous name in my garden has to go to the Rugosa hybrid

ROMANTIC ROADRUNNER

!!!!!! ?????

• organic_tosca
    14 years ago

aimeekitty, The Doctor would NEED to go back in time to be "my" Doctor... the Time Lords stopped for me after Tom Baker!

Incidentally, YOUR 'Doctor' is lovely.

• aimeekitty
    14 years ago

awww, I like Tom Baker, too! I think David Tennant will be my Doctor though even though I started with the 9th. :)

maybe I will get that rose next season

• catsrose
    14 years ago

I often buy roses just foer their names if their names belong to my cats or friends or relatives (or their interests). For my cats: Alister Stella Grey for Alistair, Bengal Tiger for pablo Mighty Tiger Paws, Comtess du Cayla for Rebbeca Comtessa, Smokey for Smokey, Ophelia for Ophelia, Lili Marleen for Marlena, Buff Beauty for Mia-Nina (buff color), etc. And I have Mrs R.B. Finch for my zebra finches. For people, Kent for one of my brothers, Purple Heart for my dad (they died within a month of each other), Napoleon for my mother who was big fan of Napoleon's, Queen Elizabeth because my grandfather grew her, Claire Rose for my friend Claire, etc. I end up with a lot of roses I wouldn't choose otherwise, but it gives a good variety. And its not only a way to honor those I care about, but it also reflects the many different kinds of people, human and other, in my life.

I also buy roses for people or things I like. Robin Hood is still one of my heros. I don't mind ugly names but I don't buy roses named for people I don't like.

• User
    14 years ago

No Florence those are silly names we make up at the community garden or on our walks thru the Peggy Rockefeller or Cranford Rose Garden