SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Are you unduly Influenced by color names?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

When I was in college I fell in love with a Christian Dior nail polish called "Shanghai Express".

I am still a sucker for a name.

I bought an Albertine range from Williams Sonoma (it's part of the Cornue "Fe" line and I believe only sold by WS) in a color they call Ivory but I would call "Stark White". (Photo at bottom)

I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get them to tell me a Pantone number or give me a swatch. Zero luck. It finally occurred to me to call Purcell Murray, the US distributor for LaCornue, for a sample. They sent one promptly, for which they deserve huge props as I am not their customer! (THANK YOU Purcell Murray).

Anyway, good thing they did. The sample is, well, ivory!
I color matched the metal swatch they sent to BM Old Prairie:

Since the stove looked sooooo white to me, I was just going to get a white retro fridge. They are not even on the same wall, and I am going un fitted so WTH.

I am glad I did not. the white Northstar fridge is very very white. By contrast, their bisque seems to match the ivory Albertine very very close. ...... I am only hesitating because I saw this as a kitchen with white appliances, maybe ivory, but not "bisque". Silly. Here is bisque:

Or.... I could go with a true white, since i have a large old double drainboard sink that is true white? Or I could get a custom color. The two wooden pieces are being painted FnB Teresa's green.

PS Yes, this is the third post trying to decide a fridge color since last fall. Deepest apologies.

Comments (91)