SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

geranium pulsilum,heuchera palace purple,aquilegia dragonfly..so

chueh
15 years ago

I guess I really don't have the luck or I am just simply not a greenthumb, especially growing flowers from seeds. Last fall, I sowed seeds of delphinium belladonna, digitalis ambigua,aquilegia dragonfly,heuchera palace purple,geranium pusilum, and coral bells. Then, I transplanted them into the ground. Most of them died. Thus, I directly sowed some seeds this spring. None of them germinated. Anyway, that's not what my question is.

Those not dead have particularly grown well. I evenly planted them next to each other, and I remember exactly the spots I planted them into. OK, here is the strange thing. I have watched them growing. What they look now are the same as what they looked when they were just seedlings. The exception is that now they flower, and I am so surprised to see their flowers out of expectation. The flowers look like weed flowers to me. They are very tiny in pink color looking downwards. I used force to turn one of the flower up to take a picture. Otherwise, all the flowers are facing down.

The entire plants look like the weeds I have had in the lawn. The leaves are so similar to those of the mysterious plants I planted in the bed. The flowers of the weeds are tiny but in white and facing up. The stems of the weeds look stronger too. The way the weed branches out is irregular. The mysterious plant branches from the center out.

If the plants are weeds, how can they just grow at the exact spots where I planted the shady plants. I don't them anywhere in the bed. They certainly don't look any plants I wanted them to be. What are they and what happened? I am so confused.

Comments (4)

• lindac
    15 years ago

Not sure what your question is, the plant pictured is a perfect example of geranium pusillum.
    Didn't you see a picture of what you were planting before you planted?
    Linda C

• duluthinbloomz4
    15 years ago

Aside from the aquilegia (columbine), and the geranium pusillum pictured above, maybe starting the others on your list from seed was a bit too ambitious.

I've had coral bells (which was the name heuchera seemed to have 35 years ago) and split and resplit the original plants many times to increase my stock. I get the wild columbine (Aquilegia Canadensis) in every shady nook and cranny, but cannot get the modern ones to self seed or last for more than a season. The geranium pusillum is a nuisance for me - that will never look better than it does right now in your picture: the flowers are very tiny, they will start to sprawl and become ground hugging, and they self-seed everywhere. I'm always pulling it up and in the strangest places.

In all honesty, despite whatever gardening skills I might have - growing from seed has never been one of my successes. Pretty much, the only seeds I purchase are zinnias because I can directly sow them when the soil warms up; they grow and bloom beautifully untill frost knocks them down.

Many people have the knack of growing from seed - indoors under lights, lucky enough to have greenhouses, winter sow. I am not one of them - I learned early on and to avoid my own personal disappointment in seeds not germinating, getting too big then damping off, etc., I no longer even try. That does not mean you shouldn't continue to try.

Everything that I might need to fill in or replace or want to try, I simply buy from a garden center, big box store, plant sale, farmers market, etc. - those who grow and sell plants have to make a living too - or I split and divide my existing plants.

Don't be too disappointed; gardening is a never ending learning process. Even though the failures are hard they just make the successes all the sweeter.

• chueh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for you answers. Well, the picture of geranuim pulsilum I saw only showed the flower part. That's what threw me off, I guess. At least, it's not a weed. I am so scared of weeds. I have had A LOT of them in the lawn. I have some in beds, so I really hope no more weeds in the bed at least.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

Hi chueh, I am growing some perennial geraniums and I have a picture of what mine looks like this year. I planted them last year but they didn't do real well but this year they are blooming and getting alot thicker. I have tried to grow some things by seed but usually don't do very well. I bought these plants at a local nursery near Tennessee. I have a group shot and will post it with the single plant picture if I can find it. Good luck this year with your plants and gardening. I found the group picture and there is a ray of sunshine shining in the middle. It looks kinda funny. Judy

{{gwi:228680}}

{{gwi:228681}}