SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillyluis

Compacted soil from construction, ryegrass or buckwheat +/-manure

jillyluis
10 years ago

I once had lovely New England dirt, but then decided to replace our rotting fence with a lovely stone wall. Now I have very compacted dirt (I had to take a pick ax to it get anything in the ground, and even that was only marginally successful). Also, my dirt has a heft amount of gravel in it from when they dug a trench, filled in gravel for drainage, and put the stone wall on top.

So, I'm trying to repair the soil. I was thinking 3-4 inches of composted manure, plus buckwheat. BUT, I'm not sure the order...do I put down the composted manure first, or the buckwheat? Or would that lead to improving the top 3-4 inches of compost which doesn't need it? Or does it not make sense to do both???

Then I was thinking/reading on the internet that annual ryegrass was better for soil compaction. It clearly can be planted in the fall (only I didn't know that last fall), but can it be planted now? Would it make sense to do that first, i.e. right now?

Any other thoughts on soil compaction would be helpful. The front of our house has looked terrible for six years now, first due to the rotting fence, then construction, then the bed grew impressive weeds last year and now are bare...

It's about 100x by 4 feet, so digging out the soil is not an option (and would undermine our stone wall)

Thank you all very much
Jill

Comments (4)