SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drmuffinz

Advice on What to Grow in an Upstate NY Container Garden?

DrMuffinz
11 years ago

I am new to roses and am looking for some advice in selection - I live in an area with VERY sandy soil where. My grandfather was an experienced rose gardener and all of his attempts to grow roses at our home failed horribly, hence I'm going to try my hand at container gardening - which will also allow me to bring my collection when I move in a year or so. The pots can be stored in either an unattached shed or basement, so they will be well protected in the winter.

I picked up some hybrid tea roses on clearance, but don't have high hopes for them, as I have seen them regularly fail after a season or two in this area. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on rose selection for zone 5 container gardens?

I find myself being wooed by David Austin roses and am considering grafted Carding Mill and/or Strawberry Hill, as I've heard grafted tend to do better than own-root in my zone. If possible, I am looking for long lasting blooms in the vase, as I'm hoping to grow my own wedding bouquet :)

I'm having a devil of a time controlling myself and not coming home with tens of roses! Thanks :)

Comments (8)