SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iforgotitsonevermind

Which of these oaks would make a better street tree?

Hi everybody,

I've finally convinced the rest of my HOA to do some landscaping and part of the project involves planting or replacing some street trees.

The existing trees that are doing well are pin oak and willow oak and there are a variety of other oaks that are are growing fine but look blah to me.

I told the landscape company we would like to use either N.Red, Shumard or Pin and the landscape company told me that they have had the best luck with pin.

The thing is the habit of pin oak doesn't really make for a classic street tree where the canopy covers the road, which is what we want. And we want a showy red fall color.

We want something that colors late and the leaves come out earlier. Everything is pointing to N. Red, does it not?

I want to tell the landscape company to use N.Red anyway but I'm not sure if they are fibbing or not. They have a habit of fibbing when it can save them some money. We are in zone 7, in a part of the Georgia piedmont where n. red is native and shumard and pin are not native. The soil is compacted clay.

What do you think we should do?

Comments (17)