SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_george_gw

sport of r gallica officinalis or natl pollinated hybrid

kathy_george_gw
13 years ago

My unusual bloom repeated about the same this year, for the third year. It is a once bloomer - only in spring. But it is stable enough to have repeated twice, after first showing itself in 2008. I shot more film photos this past weekend, which will be ready in about a week.

In the meantime, here is an older photo. The bloom is light pink, with many petals. It is lighter pink and many more petals than rosa gallica offic. Rosa gallica offic grows near near Compte de Chambord, so those may be the parents. By crawling around, I found htis seems to be growing from its own bush very close to r. gallica officinalis. However r gallica grows by suckering, so there may be a root underneath connecting?

I got about four blooms this year so far. Maybe another bud coming? MY QUESTION: Should I pick one bloom and count the petals? Is that useful for a newly hybridized rose?

The bad news this year is that I took a cutting last year and it looked good for several months, but has now lost its leaves and looks dead. For a newly hybridized rose to be successful, one must be able to grow new bushes. MAybe another cutting will do better. Or maybe the old cutting will revive? At any rate, the parent bush is a little bigger and has more blooms. I will post the new photos when they come. In the meantime, should I count petals?

Thanks. Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus