SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturesdaughter

What to plant & when for a year round hoop house veg garden

naturesdaughter
14 years ago

Ok so here's my story. I finally got my raised veggie beds built (2 of 3) and plan to build 2 hoop house's over the 2 larger beds. I am partially done with the first hoop house and I plan on (before buying the items and building the second one) trying my hand at my very first winter grow. Now I am starting with yellow onions, carrots, and spinach that is currently seeds waiting to sprout in my home. now the list of plants I would like to rotate in my bed's are:

Onion's, cucumbers, carrots, corn (that will be in the long narrow row not the hoop houses), Summer squash, peppers (bell, ortega, yellow, and jalepeno's. I will be buying these in the spring as plants rather than stress myself out trying to grow them from seeds), spinach, brocolli, garlic.

When should I plant what? As I said I am starting with Spinach (my fav... YUMMY!), Yellow onion's, and carrots this winter. Our temps never get far below 60, my veggie box is painted black to attract extra heat, and they get plenty of direct sun plus they will be cozy with our DIY hoop house lid's.

Comments (4)