SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomfromks

4x3x3 Pine Box

TomFromKS
13 years ago

Today I came in possession of a 4x3x3 sturdy pine box at work. It was used to ship some equipment for our hospital, and it was going to be thrown out. I'm new to gardening, but instantly saw the value of such a box to my backyard garden. Although I'm not entirely sure of what to do with it.

I have three ideas for it, and would like some thoughts from more experienced gardeners:

First, I think it would make a great compost bin. However, the lumbar is not treated (it's just plain pine). If I were to use it for this, would it be OK to treat the both the inside and outside with a sealant? My concern is using the sealant on the inside. I don't want to risk any chemicals transferring to my plants through the sealant used. So does anyone know what a safe sealant would be for this purpose?

Secondly, it would make a great planter box. It has three 2x4s along the bottom (left, center and right), so all I'd have to do is add some drainage holes and I'd get great drainage from this box. It would work great for tomatoes, as I would get good drainage, plus when filled with soil would be heavy enough to support a lattice of concrete wire that I have on hand. All I'd have to do is figure out a way to secure the lattice to the box. the first thing I thought to use it for was potatoes, but I think it might be a little late in my zone to plant taters.

Thirdly, This thing would make a killer hot box... but a hot box won't help me immediately, i.e, I wouldn't get much use out of it this year. And besides, there's a good possibility that I can acquire several of these kinds of boxes over the next year.

So I'm looking for some advice on this. I guess my main question, which pertains to my first and second thoughts for this, is what would be safe to coat the inside with to slow the pine wood from rotting down? Is there a sealant that I can use that would be safe for either compost or planting? Thanks in advance for any advice,

Tom From KS.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH