SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wankel

For Newbies - Things Learned the Hard Way

wankel
16 years ago

1.) The other day I wanted to cut the grass for the first time after winter storage of my tractor and the battery in my JD would would not crank the engine. I had left the battery on a trickle charger all winter and when I checked the voltage with a meter, sure enough, the battery voltage indicated a full charge.

Cleaned the terminals, checked connections, pulled the battery out to check water level, and all was OK.

So what was the problem? As I was putting the battery back in, I noticed it said "12 volts" on the top of the casing. DUHH! When I put the charger on last winter, I had assumed the battery was a 6 volt battery. The meter read 6 volts when I checked it so sure enough, the battery WAS "fully charged"... for a 6 volt battery. Put the charger on 12 and in a few hours, I was right as rain.

Point - Know thy voltage when charging.

2.) OK, with the battery charged, I started the mower and started cutting. Ran into some tall grass too fast with the deck too low and the engine stalled out. Tried to start it again and got nothing but "click...click". The engine wouldn't start.

Thinking "Dangit....I didn't leave the charger on the battery long enough", I busted ass to push the mower back up to the house where I put it on the charger again. Waited a couple of hours, checked the voltage - it was 12 volts - got back on the tractor, tried to start and got nothing but ""click...click"". No go. Then, it hit me - pushing the PTO switch in and turning the key - she started like a dream.

Point - That danged PTO switch doesn't revert to the "OFF" position when the engine stalls.

Hope this helps some of you fellows...

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions