SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njdpo

Am I assuming too much from a case 44x class machine ?

njdpo
15 years ago

Hi all...

I posted a few weeks ago that I want to try and level off my property. I estimate that I would need at least 15+ dump truck loads to get my place leveled out (actually gently sloped out).

My thoughts are to post out to craigslist and get free fill when I can grab it. I do not expect to get all 15 loads at the same time *and* I am not prepared for that amount of fill either as it would be MY labor which is going to move the fill around (sorta of pushing it down the slopes) until I get things roughly where I want it. From there I would take a York rake to it and finish it up.

I know my scotts 2046 hydrostatic isnt up to it - and was thinking (hoping) that something like a case 44x with a blade on it might be able to (slowly mind you) move these loads into the low spots of my property.

While visiting a friend today who has done nearly the same thing to his property. He told me NOT to waste my time/money on the case 44x. It is simply too small for this job - he went on to mention that he used his 4x4 pickup with a snow plow and it was slow going. He also has a *very* old/large&sturdy looking simplicity tractor, and mentioned that the simplicity would not do what I'm thinking of doing.

I was thinking that filling the tires and using chains might help and he mentioned that would be a minimum - and that without the tires filled I'd be doomed "ProbaBilaDoomed". At best I'll just be spinning the tires a little less ...

I was a disappointed to hear this and I guess I didn't want to believe it, but I'm getting the sinking feeling I'm expecting too much from a tractor like the case 44x machine.

The budget is tight - I was hoping for a *Tough* little machine to mow the lawn and help with leveling the property... My thoughts were to deal with the clean fill by using a blade. I'm in no particular rush - I have no time-line for this to be completed.

While it would be handy to have a front end loader - and make short work of this job. The last thing I want to have (for the long term anyway) is a F.E.L. in my back yard - I only have about 1 acre of grass on my 3 acre property.

Another problem I have is the layout of the back property which needs to be leveled. The septic system is right in the middle of it. So having a large FEL is a No-No, as I understand having something that heavy will lead to damaging the new septic system. Any trucks coming onto the property must stay to the perimeter of the property line - so I will need to cut a few trees and fill theses areas so the trucks can get deeper into the back lot.

So - If the Case 44x class machine CAN do it (but do it slowly) then great! But IF I'm gonna burn it out - or its not going to have the guts to move clean fill around with a blade then I need to start rethinking this plan.

My expectations were/are - that the case 44x machine would be able to spread a load of clean fill in several hours. I would be able to initially take 2-3 loads of fill and work them for a day or so and then let the contractor dump of another 2 or 3. Once I get the big rocks hidden on the back lot then the trucks will have more access to the back property (away from the septic).

Am I way off base here ?

Do I need to go back and re-think the case 44x tractor?

Am I wasting my time - Should I consider renting a small FEL and just get this over with ? (any ideas of rental costs?)

Any suggestions for other equipment? (which must also mow the lawn? (im thinking about getting rid of the scotts once the new machine is on the property).

As always - Your experiences, consideration, and feedback regarding this situation are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Dave O.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions