SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hpersky_gw

AAARRGGHHH!! Rion window glazing profile

14 years ago

Hi all:

The Rion 8 X 6 duly arrived, and we began its assembly today. All went quite smoothly, in an almost sinister way, till we reached the window glazing profiles. Or the parts that hold the glazing. We are using the soap and water mix, but boy are these a b-c. Anyone else have this experience?

Also, we are almost...not entirely, but almost, convinced that some of the glazing profiles were mislabeled...I cannot seem to find the letters on the glazing profiles that denote the part, and so have to rely on the tiny pieces of paperÂseveral of which were scattered with gay abandon in the Rion box, rather than banded to their brethren. Again, anyone else ever experienced that?

Many thanks,

Hilary

Comments (11)

• 14 years ago

re. the profiles, which I presume are still the rolls of rubber strip that you cut off to fit: Really soap up the slot between the frame and the panel. Try coaxing the first 3-4" in with the Rion wooden tool, then with some pressure, run a wallpaper seam roller over the rubber strip. Experiment with the seam roller, it takes some getting used to. Also, on an 8x12, I wore out two seam rollers. The profiles are a pain at first, but when you get to the end you're pretty good at it. I imagine a second Rion GH would go a lot faster & easier.

re. the panel labeling: Mine, which I purchased a little over a year ago, had all the labels intact. If your panels are missing labels, and you bought the GH from a Rion dealer (e.g. IGC (www.greenhousemegastore.com), www.riongreenhousekit.com, etc) a phone call to them would probably get you some help identifying the panels. Having dealt with both of the examples, they might well help you even if you didn't buy it from one of them.

• 14 years ago

My son just finished putting up my recently purchased Rion, the little 6.5 x 7.7 model. Everything in our order was well marked. The only thing we missed was two pieces that were used to brace the vent. When we first inventoried, we didn't notice that they were actually parts and not a permanent part of the vent. Took us a while to discover our mistake. The other thing we couldn't find was the little rubber glazing strip to put around the side panels. Turns out because our side panels are 6mm rather than 4mm, this glazing wasn't needed. The 4mm side panels need this added glazing to seal the thinner panel to the frame. I was glad to find that out as fitting that glazing around all the side panels was not a happy prospect.

Here's a photo of our recently completed Rion greenhouse. Wishing you many happy hours of gardening with your new greenhouse.

Mary {{gwi:307034}}From __Garden Flowers - plants

• 14 years ago

hpersky: Where I said "re. the panel labeling:" in my earlier message, I meant "profile" throughout the whole paragraph. Sorry for the slipup.

Very attractive step and landing, Mary. What is is made of?

• 14 years ago

Thank you for the nice comment on our son's work. The landing is made from scraps of lumber and concrete 6 x 12's we had leftover from a previous project.

The landing frame top is actually a 48" sq oak shipping pallet, covered with a piece of finished plywood cut to size, trimmed out with 1 x 4 and the step is made from an old piece of 2 x 8, laid edge to edge lengthwise to create a 16" wide step. The only thing we had to buy for this was the paint, which is made by Kiltz for outdoor use. He caulked all the seams and put it all together with screws, which helps to make it very sturdy. It's attached to the 2 x 10 base with a support strip and the outside support are the stacked 6 x 12 solid concrete blocks, all painted the same color as the landing and wooden greenhouse base. I am so tickled with the way it turned out.

Mary

• 14 years ago

Thanks, billala, for advice. With soap and water, we managed, and it is certainly true that with experience, the thing gets easier. In fact, there was mislabeing, and happily, my friend discovered this and corrected it.

Mary: it looks great! It really is exciting. I can't waitr to put all the plants inside!

Hilary

• 14 years ago

My husband & I purchased the 8' x 8' Rion greenhouse. It was a pain in the neck and else where. But we got it put togther in a weekend. Just having isues now with condensation building up in side it.

• 14 years ago

We have the 8.5 by 16.5' Rion. Those rubber strips were horrid to install. With my arthritis I couldn't do it. My husband did it with the help of soapy water.

• 14 years ago

Turns out it was not the rubber door strips you cut, but the plastic parts to seal in the panes. Oddly, the rubber strips were not hard for me; it was the others that drove us nuts.

There is condensation; tonight, I will be checking posts on that to see what I can find. I am hoping and assuming that proper heat and air circulation will solve it...

Hilary

• 14 years ago

I too have the 8.5 by 16 rion. I assembled my greenhouse last winter in the heart of a new england winter. One thing I found aout about the rion's assemble is Patients. I used a crazy amout of soapy lube to install all the weather stripping.

The hardest part was lifting the roof because it was 16 feet long and you have to line up all the wall section.

I must admit that this greenhouse was well worth the price tag. I chose not to use rion's basekit. Instead, I excavated 2 feet down installed filter fabric and crushed stone and installed 2 courses of 4x6 pt timbers. The floor is crushed stone covered in insulating panels covered in sand covered by paving stones all pitched to the center with a 5 foot deep drain into sand. I salved all the rions air leaks with expanding foam insulation, fixed leaky vent windows with a bead of special caulking that will stick to PVC and polycarb.

I ma proud of my rion. I dont have the guts to cut though the wall glazing to install a southern burner heater!

• 14 years ago

I know! I want to install one of those, and am loathe to make a hole in the wall. I love the greenhouse. We actually laid the base on top of a wood frame, and then filled it with a mix of fine rock that acts almost like cement. Then gravel went on top of that, and finally a blue stone and brick floor. it is great! A drain is not too much of an issue, only because I am growing mostly succulents through winbter. There are a couple of small citrus trees, but they are in their pot trays.

So far so good, and the Rion is taking the high winds we have been having very well indeed.

• 14 years ago

All the time I took to make things perfectly plumb and level have paid off. There is no heaving and moving of the greenhouse. All the windows, doors, and vents all work perfect. I rion's sorry excuse for vent window waterproofing was the only issue. Solved with some special silicone that is rated for PVC and polycarb.

I hope to start using it again in early march for seed starting.