SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

Oh dear - green and white still doesn't cut the mustard

User
10 years ago

This gardening in woodland lark is worrying to me for many reasons - mainly, the vast amounts of totally weedfilled space. Of course, this is such a huge problem that my overworked brain cannot comprehend the magnitude and so am in denial, pondering things I might have some small chance of actually doing.....such as introducing colour. Now, whilst I opine that green and white are so serene, so grown-up, so elegant, none of these characteristics have ever been evident in my gardening - which hinges on the positively lurid (albeit in minutely observed colour coding). So, what colourful things will grow in dappled (optimist!) shade, nice rich friable well-drained alkaline soil. Although my soul yearns for meconops, again, the alkalinity defeats the lusting after blue poppies....but the modest little welsh poppy, M.cambrica...and the yellow stylophorum. Purples are easy with aquilegias, foxgloves. So what other tough perennials can I grow to illuminate the green coolth. I have also been sowing cranesbills and a really terrific looking angelica purpurea although, having waffled endlessly on the rose forums about my abiding love for umbellifers, it seems you can definitely have too much of a good thing - the hogweed (not the lethal giant type thankfully) is chest high throughout the entire wood - I have taken to whacking a path with a vicious implement like a hybrid hurly stick and machete (and sharpened to a killer edge on my little bench grinder). Also green and white, bladder campions - although plenty of red campion too, and nettle, bramble (dispiriting, listing these thugs - I will need some serious advice). Also, any suggestions need to be equally oafish bullies so delicate little treasures (which I had coveted such as jeffersonia, erythroniums, primulas, cardamines) may still be some way down the road.....and preferably feasible from seed.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths