SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
illuminaughty_gw

25hp B&S bent rods after clumsy valve adjustment.

Illuminaughty
12 years ago

Long story short, my mower was having a lot of trouble starting, I learned that adjusting the valves was an easy fix to this problem. I adjusted them once, they made my mower backfire, I adjusted it again, and it ran perfect for a day.

Next day there's was a very slight popping, so I adjusted them a third time, and this is when I bent the rods. After watching the video I had originally watch I understand now how I adjusted the valves wrong, and I feel incredibly stupid.

What I'm wondering now is can I just replace the bent rods and nothing else since it was my clumsy valve adjustment that caused them to bend (I'm assuming anyway) in the first place, or am I in for major $$$ repairs?

So far the mower has always ran good, been hard to start (except after adjusting the valves), and taking the hood/deck/valve covers off are as deep into this thing as I've gotten so far.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm a broke college student and my grass is getting long! I really hope I didn't just cost myself a small fortune trying to learn to fix things on my own. :(

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions