SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenendup

Hurts my motor to go so slow....

greenendup
17 years ago

I'm no mechanical wizard, so a little of my terminolgy may be off....

I have a Scott's 20 HP with 50" deck - bought about 9 years ago... It has done exactly what I have asked of it for the first 7 years with minimal fuss. Last year I noticed the mower was getting slow... The motor runs fine, and I seem to have full speed in reverse, but forward is a bit lacking. My wife got a JD last year for her birthday (gotta love a wife that wants a mower!) and so she did most of the mowing - so I never really bothered looking into the cause - I just let her mow the grass....and she let me use her mower a couple of times (wow - it's pretty nice - my Scotts is a POC, but I'm trying not to get mower envy) Anyway, I have tried adjusting the linkage - I can get a hair more speed in reverse (it seems) at the detriment of my forward speed - no matter how I tweak the linkage (even adjusting so no reverse) I can't the forward speed above a slow crawl. the "gas pedal" only seems to engage forward when all the way pressed to the floor and I'm only getting about 1/2 - 1 inch of travel that seems to actually engage anything.

has anyone got any idea's for me? what's wrong? what shuld I check? try?

I don't want to be reduced to begging my wife to let me use her mower (I'd have to wait for her to be done with it), and I think the neighbors are starting to talk because I mow the yard in reverse each weekend.

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions