SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toxcrusadr

Pesticide Residues in Cotton Burr Compost

toxcrusadr
10 years ago

This question has come up several times so I thought it would be a good idea to research it and see what we can find. Questions:

1) What herbicides are used on cotton?
2) Are they potentially a problem for your garden when using cotton burr compost?

There might be other questions and I'm open to suggestions. I assume the important question is plant damage from persistent herbicides.

First things first. I did a quick search for "cotton herbicides" and mostly found pages from manufacturers wanting to sell their products. I did find one paper listing some cotton herbicide regimens:

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/county/hampton/programs/row_crops/Cotton/mikemarshall.pdf

Products listed in this paper:
Glyphosate (Roundup)
Paraquat
Diuron
MSMA (sodium methanearsonate)
Pendemethalin
Fomesafin
Flumioxazin

If anyone has direct knowledge or references for more herbicides currently in use, please post. I will add to the list by editing this post. Then we can talk about persistence. Maybe TXEB will show up to give us a hand.

I would like to answer this definitively because 1) there seems to be a general opinion that a lot of pesticides are used on cotton, and 2) cotton burr compost can be excellent compost in terms of organic matter and nutrient content.

This post was edited by toxcrusadr on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 11:10

Comments (38)