SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orlandot_gw

Starting issue on B&S IC14.5

orlandot
16 years ago

OK folks,

I have an old Poulan 42" cut with the B&S I/C 14.5 Horse red cover motor. It has always worked well but about 2 months ago the starter wouldn't turn. I had a spare, so I swapped it in without thinking, since it is only 5 blots, and it worked fine. Then today, I mow for 2 hours, run low on fuel, shut it down, go get gas. Come back, fill it up, and again, no turn on the starter...and now I here a noise (like a high pitched hmmmm) from somewhere up front. I pull the starter, and now test them both by just hooking them to 12V +, and the both work great. The only thing between the working starters and the new battery I bought for this season is some sort of relay block. Are these known to go bad? I guess the only test would be to have the wife pretend to start it while I put a volt meter to the starter wire and look for 12 V+?

Any ideas,

I am not motor dumb, but am new to riding mowers...

Orlando

Comments (39)

• walt2002
    16 years ago

One of the most common causes for your symptoms is that the valves need adjusting. I think if you check your owner's manual, you will see they recommend doing this once a year.

You could jump directly from a known good battery to the starter terminal. IF the starter still doesn't turn the engine, valves are very likely.

I have detailed instructions for adjusting the valves IF you want them.

Walt Conner
    wconner5 at verizon dot net (put in proper format)

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Walt,

Please forward those along. Still seems odd that it would go from running fine, to nothing with a slight valve change. Also, I put a volt meter on the starter side of the selenoid, with the key turned, I had less then a volt. I am guessing this might be something I should also change. The battery side read 12.25V+, by the way. Again, thanks for all the advice, please forward me the valve adjust instructions.

my email is omteixeira at earthlink dot net (you know what to do)

• Related Discussions

Lawnmower engine issue (B&S 5.5 hp)

Q

Comments (2)
    Engine MODEL & TYPE numbers allow one to identify which specific engine it is. That helps to identify which carb is used. IF the air cleaner was saturated with oil, replace it. I'd invest in a new spark plug. That may not be the problem, but for a couple $, you can eliminate it as a potential cause. Most of these newer engines are jetted too lean to meet EPA specs. Any gum/varnish in the main jet will reduce its size further, leaning out the mix more. This tends to result in SURGING. Do you have a surge or a miss?
    ...See More

Craftsman 6.0 Gold with B/S Engine Not Starting

Q

Comments (5)
    Well, the mower is anything but new, but it was given to me with a handle that was falling apart, a blade that was really, really dull, splayed front wheels... Basically, used hard, often, and put away wet. The old air filter was years old and probably didn't do a great job of filtering. The gas can is clean, and the gas is about a week old. If time permits, I'll take the bowl off again and see if any other sediment has gotten into it, as well as blow out the main jet with compressed air. If it makes it to winter, I'll treat it to a full carb removal and clean/rebuild. vince
    ...See More

B&S engine won't start..not getting constant power to the starter

Q

Comments (3)
    917.289031 is the model number. Like I said in the original post, the engine is not the original but a replacement...just so you know. I just took the spark plug out and cranked it and that allowed the starter to spin the flywheel constantly. Exciting! What do you suggest?
    ...See More

B&S start problem

Q

Comments (6)
    Go to the Briggs website and download the IPL for your engine. It'll have an exploded view of the carb. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/ For an engine # use 135202 Type 0025 I would pick up a new diaphragm (ref 394, PN 232538) and a can of carb cleaner with the spray tube. Disphragm should be about $2-3. The easiest way is to remove the muffler for access to the screws, so you can get a straight shot at them and avoid stripping the "slots". (They may be allen head) From the IPL, note the orientation of the parts. There aren't many, but we want to keep them in the proper sequence. Remove the cover plate,diaphragm, cap & spring. There will be 2 holes there. Use the spray nozzle to force carb cleaner through them. You'll hear one vent into the fuel tank and the other into the venturi of the carb. Once you know those are clear, re-assemble with the new diaphragm and you should be good to go. You may not need the carb cleaner, but it's probably worth the time to have it handy in case you do, unless you live close to an auto parts store.
    ...See More
  • bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

"and now I here a noise (like a high pitched hmmmm)"

IF it sounds like the starter motor is "spinning up", but not engaging, then the Bendix drive probably needs to be cleaned.
    If it sounds like it's "straining hard, but nor spinning the motor, then refer to the above posts.

When cranking, you want minimal voltage at the point you checked. A high reading means the switch inside the solenoid is bad and can't carry the current, or the starter motor isn't drawing current.

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill,

I am confused. How do you want minimal voltage? If you only have one volt you are not going to spin an electric starter nearly enough to turn over any compression motor. We are talking about the wire that goes from the solenoid to the wire on the bottom of the starter (+). I would think it needs to be at least 5V+ on that post, if not 12V+. I need a wiring schematic for this mower, anyone have that?

Also, it is not the starter spinning (although that was the first place I looked also), it sounds like an electric wire frying actually, so after I replace the solenoid I am going to have to check all the wires before I hook it back up.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

How do you want minimal voltage?"
    Because you are measuring voltage drop. If you have 12V at that point, it means the circuit isn't drawing any current.

That doesn't sound like the problem though.

Remove the spark plug(s) and see if it will crank.
    If you get the same result, the starter motor is toast. If it cranks, check the valve adjustment if an OHV engine.
    Engine Model & Type is useful to know.

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK, thanks. It is an OHV engine, and the starter works off the motor (I tested it, and the other one I replaced). So now I just need to pull the plug, and if it cranks, wait for the document from Walt.

Orlando

• walt2002
    16 years ago

The way it works is, I posted my address.

Walt Conner

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK,

So this morning afforded me some more testing time. With plug in or out, through the solenoid, I got nothing. I bypassed the solenoid, with the plug in, very little engine movement. So I go to pull the plug, and way to much gas came out of the chamber. After that, she cranks all day. So I need a solenoid, and I need to adjust the valves, and find out how SO MUCH gas got into the cylinder.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Carb needle/seat is leaking, filling the cylinder with fuel.
    This hydro locks the engine since the fuel doesn't compress.
    Fix the carb problem first.
    Also change the oil since it's now contaminated with gasoline.

Engine Model & Type is useful to know. STILL!

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill,

Sorry, I thought the description was enough. So here you are:
    B&S Model: 287777
    Type: 0256-01

So now it's the carb, and solenoid...this is starting to become and interesting list. I am glad you are helping me find things, since I want to keep this engine running for a long time. It is a great little old mower.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

So if I understand you correctly-
    With the spark plug out, the engine won't turn over UNLESS you bypass the solenoid?
    It just seems a bit weird that the solenoid failed at the same time the engine got hydro locked.
    I guess the dead short current could have "fried" the contact in the solenoid, but...
    I assume you have cleaned/tightened the connections to/from the battery, solenoid & starter? A dead short can also "fry" a "marginal" connection.
    Just don't want to see you spend money on a new solenoid if the old one is OK.

You can download an IPL at the Briggs site (see link) and that'll have an exploded view of the carb that you may find helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I had a corroded terminal when I replaced the battery, so we have no cables, and a new battery. They are all tight, checked that yesterday. I really think the solenoid is an issue, as with it in the loop, nothing works. My thought it the engine was locked by the gas, and the solenoid fried in the process of me trying to start it.

• walt2002
    16 years ago

"My thought it the engine was locked by the gas, and the solenoid fried in the process of me trying to start it."

Could be but the starter is a more likely prospect to go first.

Walt Conner

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Walt, I would have thought that too, but he says it cranks when bypassing the solenoid.

We haven't even got into the valve adjust issue yet!:-)

Orlando-
    Have you reinstalled the plug (since the cylinder is drained) and tried cranking it by bypassing the solenoid?
    The engine should crank now, IF the starter motor is good. It'll probably even start if the key is on.

• walt2002
    16 years ago

Bill, might tell him how to test the solenoid, I give up.

Walt Conner

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well,

I did not put the plug back in, but it won't start, unless I re-install the gas tank. :-) Had removed it to make sure all the wires at the solenoid were tight and not corroded or frayed. I appreciate all your help, and looked at the document Bill pointed me too. I have the carb to the left (the Walbro). I guess my best bet would be to order a rebuild kit since if one thing went it probably needs a rebuild. Any stores you guy recommend over others online?

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Sometimes it's just cheaper to buy local when you add the S&H. They certainly aren't shy about the price!

You'll also need the date CODE for your engine, since that determines which kit.
    Code is on the engine next to model & type. YYMMDDzz.

Chances are, you could just remove the bowl, float & needle and just let the fuel line flush things out for a few seconds.
    Often this problem occurs when changing a fuel filter. A piece of crud gets broken loose and immediately flushed down into the carb when the fuel flows.

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow,

OK, so the air filter, and pre air filter were completely soaked with gas as well, so I will be changing those as well as the oil change. I pulled the bowl off the carb, and there were flakes of "stuff" in there. I used parts cleaner and got it all out of the bowl, and needle area. My only concern is the bottom of the bowl has a little brown area, my guess is rust forming. The could very well be where the "stuff" came from. I guess I will just order a new bowl on Monday along with the solenoid.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

I wouldn't get a new bowl, unless it's nearly rusted through.
    The "rust area" was a spot where water had accumulated. As long as the tank is cleaned out/fuel used up, your water will be gone.
    IF your gasoline has alcohol added, that will also absorb water. The bad news is that it keeps absorbing water, so for longer storage times, water keeps accumulating.
    You might change your winter storage procedure though.
    I like to fill my tanks to the brim with stabilized fuel. No air space = no condensation.

Have you tried seeing if the engine will turn over with the spark plug reinstalled? Curious minds.....

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill,

I reinstalled the carb, air cleaner housing, and plug and wire. Then I made sure everything was tight and put back together right. I then went to turn it over, and got nothing. I put a jumper clamp from the battery side of the solenoid to the starter wire side, and it turned over all day (I still need to put fuel back in). So, looks like that is the last thing I need to change. Before I do I am going to make sure it is not the switch under the seat stoping it, I know it has just cheap plastic clips.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Jump 12v to the small terminal on the solenoid.
    If it cranks the problem isn't the solenoid. If it doesn't crank, the solenoid is bad.

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill,

Which small terminal? I have two large, and then two small. One large is the battery, the other is the starter. The small, one is a white wire, the other is a black wire. There is also a small red wire that connects to the battery side (so constant power to that) and has a in line fuse.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

One of the small ones is from the crank circuit from the starter switch. When there is a 2nd small terminal, it will be a ground for the internal coil of the solenoid. (elecro magnet)
    It's often used by one of the safety switches, in that the S Switch must complete the ground for the solenoid to work.
    IF you have a voltmeter or 12V test light, you could just check each wire and see which one has 12V when the key is in the crank position. (If you have 12V, that pretty much proves the solenoid is bad too, unless the ground isn't completing.

In this case, jumper both terminals, one + and the other -.
    This will bypass ALL safety switches etc. (make sure it's not in gear/ blade engaged etc. etc.)
    You won't damage the winding if you do it "backwards", since the resistance of the winding is the same no matter what direction.
    I'm pretty sure that you DO have a bad solenoid. I'd just like to verify that so you don't spend money needlessly. I'm frugal!

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Just to add-
    When you said "older" tractor, I'd assumed you only had one small terminal on the solenoid. On those, the solenoid case is the ground.

About what year is your tractor? If it has the original engine, the CODE on the engine is the DOM. YYMMDDzz. One can assume the engine will be "slightly" older than the tractor.

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill,

No problem, it is an 96 motor, and by old I meant older then 10 years. The date codes the engine as October 14th 1996, so it is a 97 mower is my best guess.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Pretty sure I found the electrical schematic.
    The WHITE wire should be the 12V from the switch to crank. It appears the black wire simply goes to ground. I guess they just used the 4 terminal solenoids on all?

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I picked up a solenoid, all filters (air, fuel, oil), and oil, should know something after work when I put it back together tonight.

Orlando

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow,

Great news, new solenoid, and boom, she cranks over. So I changed the oil, air filters, and fuel filter, put the tank back in, button it up and she started right up. Thanks so much. You two were a wealth of knowledge and probably saved me from blowing the motor by not changing the oil.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Glad to hear the GOOD news!
    Even a blind squirrel.....:-)

I'd check the oil level after it's sat for a few hours, and then again before the next use to make sure the carb isn't still leaking through. It shouldn't be higher! The "smell test" is also effective.

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill,

Good news, the oil is still oil, and full (not overfull). I did a test cut and ran it for 30 minutes, all seems good.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

If the carb was still leaking, you probably wouldn't see it while you were running, because it's going through the engine.
    It's when it sits, that it fills the cylinder and eventually runs into the sump.
    Check again in a few days of non use to be sure.

• njdpo
    16 years ago

Im working on a Scotts 2046 with similar problems...

I have a 20 HP B&S Intek engine - and would be interested in seeing the detailed instructions on adjusting the valves ... if it applies to my motor...

Thanks

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, here is a follow up. I ran it 4 times for short periods with no issues. Today I go to really mow. I ran through the first tank of gas, and shut the mower down as it puttered from lack of fuel. I fill up the tank, and crank and crank, nothing...but fuel I smell. So I fouled it, I pull the plug and out comes fuel, not as bad as when it was locked up, but more then I though flooding would cause. So I drained the tank again, to make sure it wouldn't all spill out, and then I check the oil, and it's still just oil (thank God). Is it normal for it to spew out fuel when it is flooded (It seemed odd to me), or do I need to rebuild this carb?

Orlando

PS: I guess I need to put some fuel back in with no plug and let it sit, and see where it goes??

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Sounds like you still have some crud in the rank/fuel lines that's getting washed down to the carb as it runs out of gas?

I think the reason you didn't have a lot of gas in the cylinder is because it didn't sit for very long.

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I let it sit for two hours, and sure enough, everything was full of fuel. Had to dump the oil, spin off the bowl on the carb. Went out and got the new oil filter and oil, but I am worried I am just going to have this happen again. The more I think about it both times it happened I ran the thing out of gas. I will never do that again! :-) Anyway, I wonder how the crud could get from the tank to the carb with a brand new fuel filter on there, but you just have to be right, because it is obvious that something (float?) stuck open on the carb again.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

When you fix the carb (again), remove the fuel line to the carb and flush it for a few seconds.
    What often happens, is that when you change the filter, you'll break off some crud that was stuck to the fuel line, or even "chunks" of the fuel line itself if it's old and brittle.
    Maybe time for some new fuel line, or even an inline shut off valve?

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am going all new fuel line, already saw some nice line at the local mower place, they cut to length. Is there any good cleaner for the tank, or if not I will just run parts cleaner through it, to get any extra crap out of it. I am thinking of buying a whole new carb for $95, instead of the kit for 25 to rebuild it. Just seems more reasonable, since I value my time, and then I will have a spare to play with.

Orlando

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

I wouldn't even buy the kit. You should be able to fix it in place.
    How hard is it to remove the tank so that you can "swish" the fuel around and dump it out the filler?

The LIGHT IS at the end of the tunnel!!!!

• orlandot
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The tank is 6 bolts, and I have had it out, should have cleaned it then! LOL, the solenoid is right below it! :-) Listen, considering I bought this Poulan for $300, and it's lasted 2 seasons with regular maintenance before all of this, I am way ahead of the game, and I see that light!

Orlando

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions