SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annececilia

Just got first ever order from Chamblees

AnneCecilia z5 MI
10 years ago

In all these years I have never ordered from Chamblees before; for some reason I got the urge this winter to see what everyone was raving about. Well! Two VERY HEAVY cartons were delivered to my home today and I must say, I am impressed with the unusual (to me) packing. All the pots had plastic bags around them, gathered and held closed around the rose canes by a rubber band. Then the pot in its bag was inserted into a kraft paper cone and the top of the cone was rolled over closed. In the large carton, pots were standing on their bottoms with cardboard dividers between the three rows, and a few empty pots upside down to fill in empty spots. There were 9 roses in gallon pots in that box - I couldn't even lift it to bring it inside; I had to push it along into the garage! The smaller box held three roses, these lying on their sides and two of them had long canes outside the paper cones. Some of the roses looked a bit squashed, but I would too if I'd been stuffed into a box - I'm sure they will spread out after a few days. There was very little breakage (and most were in bud/bloom) and amazingly little to no soil dislocated from the pots. The soil is very heavy and black - and absolutely soaked so no wonder the boxes were so heavy!! No dry plants here. (Did the soil stay put so well because it was so wet?) Whatever, Chamblees' packing methods work very well. After other vendor's past shipments needing staple pullers and razor knives to free up pots, and tons of packing trash to dispose of, unpacking a Chamblees order was a breeze and very clean. I am impressed.

Oh yes, and here's what I got:
Sugar Moon, Savannah (Kordes,) Golden Celebration, Purple Rain, Blue for You, Portmeirion, Wild Blue Yonder, Solero Vigorosa, Julia Child, and (3) Lemon Fizz Kolorscape roses for edging the front bed. The only rose that was even close to being disappointing in size was Sugar Moon, looking quite small next to the husky plants of all the others but we'll see if it catches up. So far I am in love with the fragrance of Savannah and Blue for You is to die for!

Of course, they will have to stay potted and on my garden wagon so I can move them out for the day and inside for protection at night for a while longer - our snow is not completely melted off, but we're getting there, slow but sure.

Doing a Happy Happy Rose Dance tonight. :-)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County