SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookemdano_gw

Deere L111 won't crank, headlights work

bookemdano
14 years ago

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to help me narrow this down. I have a John Deere L111 purchased in 2005. In the past few years have had problems with it not holding a charge. Replaced battery two years ago and still had the same problems. Anyway, rather than deal with the actual problems I just bought a battery maintainer to put on it to keep the battery topped off.

Yesterday I went to mow and it started right up (thanks to the maintainer). Mowed for about an hour (was trying to use up the gas in the tank) and then parked it on my level driveway and turned it off. After I let it cool down for 30 minutes I went out and changed the fuel filter. Hooked the new one up with no problems--arrow on the filter is pointing the right direction.

So I fill the tank full of gas and go to start it up and nada. I immediately suspected the battery but the headlamps come on nice and bright. I hooked up a portable 12V battery pack that I've used to boost it in the past, and no change. Finally I put the battery maintainer back on it but within 5 minutes it indicated the battery was fully charged.

Is this likely to be a battery issue? I would think if it was then the booster battery I hooked up would have made a difference. Also I know that the battery took a good charge from the maintainer because it started very strongly only an hour before.

I have tried moving the throttle & choke levers, engaging and disengaging the PTO (manual) but no dice. Once I turn the key to start absolutely nothing happens--not even any clicking noises from the starter.

So given that info can anyone field any guesses as to what might have gone wrong? I've read some previous postings here about bad solenoids, stators on this model. Is it possible this could just be a blown fuse or problem with a safety interlock switch? Of course the user manual that came with the tractor is pretty much useless.

Would much appreciate any comments or ideas. Thanks!

Dan

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions