SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
code3mmc

Blade hitting mowing deck problem

code3mmc
15 years ago

I need some advice on a problem with my Sears Craftsman II 38" twin-blade deck/12hp Tecumseh/6-speed gear trans riding mower. It is about 28 years old, model # 917.254.240, serial number is 1057S22991

I was cutting the front grass last night and suddenly tractor started making this metal clanging sound...blade hitting the mowing deck with a slight vibration. Engine and transmission are okay and not the problem; When I disengage the blades it runs/drives fine. This is a new issue...

The blades are NOT hitting the deck if I move them by hand. At least 1 finger's width clearance all around on both blades between the blade and all parts of the deck. The blades are really dull and rusty, was planning to replace them soon. However, right-side blade wiggles back and forth when you grab it, left side blade is rock solid. Hmmmm.... nothing loose, deck belt is tight but worn badly... Pulleys look fine, don't see any grease spilling out. Maybe blew out a bearing, shim, spindle or ??? I went through the grass, did not see any loose parts that fell off. It will continue cutting grass but makes a lot of noise and vibrates. ????? The noise is definitely coming from the right-hand side.

I am guessing the shaft is wobbling and that is what is causing blade to strike the metal deck ??

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions