SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Please Don't Throw Away Excess Plants!!!

arbo_retum
13 years ago

I know so many gar*deners that have pla*nts they don't want. They love them but they have no space for them anymore.

PLEASE don't throw away pla*nts(unless they are aegopodium or other horrid invasives!!)Even if there are just a few extra pla*nts--there are so many people who would LOVE to have your pla*nts- both those who are able to purchase them and those who would be thrilled to have them for free (if you just want to be rid of them and not have to get into the details of selling.) Do consider putting an ad in your local craigslist website.(ex.: the one here for boston/ ma. is found with www.boston.craigslist.org

and is divided into areas around the state.) You can post free pl*ant ads under "Free Stuff" or "Fa*rm and Gar*den". If you read through others' crlist ads, you will see examples of many different ways to handle this. If you don't want to have any dealings with people, you can just say in your ad "the pla*nts will be put out on my sid*ewalk at such and such address- on such and such date".You can leave them in the shade in unwanted containers or plastic grocery bags. Or, if you DO want to meet people, you can have them email you to work out pla*nt pickup (or have them come and dig them themselves, under your supervision.)I even know people who have made friends this way!

Another option is putting a notice in your local state forum of GW. I did this in the New England Forum for a friend with a ton of extra pla*nts she had no space for, and she really enjoyed meeting the people, who really enjoyed seeing her gar*dens, and were so grateful for the free pl*ants.

There always seem to be: parents' groups who need pla*nts to landscape the schoolyard with; volunteer garde*ners who need plan*ts for a local nursing hom*e,community display gar*dens, or traffic islands etc.

Here in Boston there is even an incorporated nonprofit group called "Boston Cares" that coordinates with corporations to provide willing workers (the employer pays their workers for 1/2 day to 1 day of volunteer labor) for needy urban projects. Some of the projects are landscaping; donated pla*nts are used to improve public housing , street plant*ings, etc.!

There will always be people in need, and with just a little effort, the extra materials generated by your skills and love of pla*nts- can be used to make the world a better place for so many others!

best,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com

a teaching website

Comments (4)