SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hpj1926

B&S 18HP model 31D777 problem

James Hogan
13 years ago

Engine: B&S 18HP Model 31D777/type 0233E1/code 0304177E about 8 years old on a TroyBilt 42" riding lawn tractor

A few weeks ago, I was mowing the side of a slope when the engine coughed and exhausted a big cloud of dark gray/black smoke. During this episode it backfired a couple of times. It sputtered until I got it on level ground where it seemed to smooth out.

Then a week or so ago, it did the same thing, except this time it died and I was unable to start it. I replaced the plug which was VERY fouled (and the air filter (no oil or gas evident on the filter), and the engine started and ran normally until yesterday.

Then it sputtered, backfired and exhauted a small cloud of gray smoke, and quit running. I was able to get it started and it ran until I got it back to the garden shed. I turned it off and have been unable to get it to start again. I have changed the oil and filter, spark plug and air filter. I took the plug out and it appears to have a little bit of black stuff on it (not nearly as bad as the previous episode).

THe engine will turn over, and the PTO, brake and seat safety interface switches seem to be working because the engine won't turn over if the PTO is engaged or the brake pedal is not depressed or their is no load on the seat.

I must confess that I'm pretty sure I overfilled the oil level a year or so ago. My bad. The oil seemed to become thinned and very black quickly, even after I changed the oil, so I'm guessing that there's some fuel leakage into the oil compartment.

There is a black hose that connects to the back of the carburator (the PCV hose?) that was off, but when I reattached it the engine still wouldn't start.

I'm presently alone so it's hard to check for a spark in the plug. The plug wire seems to fit loosely on the plug but the fitting inside the plug wire seems OK (it's round with no way to "tighten" it apparent, to me at least.

I'd appreciate any advice on what to do now. If I can repair the engine at a "reasonable" cost (less that the cost of a new engine) I'll try to do that. If not, then...

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions