SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchiddude

Things you might need if using a gas heater and info about gas

orchiddude
11 years ago

First, let me introduce myself. I am old greenhouse grower of orchids and palm trees.I can grow just about anything and the greenhouse is a great way to help keep plants growing through the winter. Way back 10 years ago we use to have some good ole discussions here on Gardenweb about all types of greenhouse related projects. There was a great group of people here and it was very active. Not sure what happen to everyone but times changed and the activity fell and it became real slow. My passion is about heating the greenhouse with gas heat and getting the correct information to people so they can save money and time and do it right. I have been greenhousing for over 25 years.

Winter Check List

With winter coming up and people getting ready to pack up the greenhouses, I thought it would be nice to have a section about heating your greenhouse and things you might need to help with the winter cold and everything that goes with it. This is by no means the only things to have, but just ideas for those that might be new. If I have missed something, please add it to the list. The links below are just examples and the products could be bought anywhere.

1. First check your heater and make sure it runs. After it sits all summer sometimes they get cobwebs and insects in them. Clean the heater up and make sure it works. I try do do this well in advance, so if any problems come up, I have time to fix them.

2. Get a wireless thermometer. Besure to check the distance that the device will cover, some do a 100 feet and some do 300 feet. Example below, there are tons of them on the market.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006FKTT4C/ref=asc_df_B006FKTT4C2212182?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B006FKTT4C&hvpos=1o6&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=622627259644652682&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

3. Check gas supply if using propane. Check wires and cords if using electric.

4. If you dont have a back up heat source, think about getting one. I have used Kerosene heaters before that work great and will last for 12 hours. If you electric fails and you dont have gas, these are great and work great. The Mr. Heaters listed below would work great for this. They have 2 or 3 sizes and can be hooked to grill tanks or small gas bottles.

5. Tip that helps save heat inside the greenhouse. It takes less heat to heat a full greenhouse than an empty one. So if your greenhouse it not full in the winter, then fill it up with something, if you plan to heat it. It is better to heat an object than to heat the air. The object will release the heat back, thus requiring less heat from the heat source. I found this out one year when I had way to many plants, and I packed them into the greenhouse so tight that it was hard to walk around. I had the lowest heat bill ever that year. I dont pay must for gas heat as it is now, but that was even lower. Pack'em out, and save.

6. If you are looking for a heater for your greenhouse, depending on the size of place you have, these Mr. Heaters will work great also. They have several sizes avaiable and you can get them at Walmart or Lowes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005LEXI/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=25058352235&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1345921051977042248&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_103bz5wqsc_e

You can get these wonderful gas heaters also. I use this type for natural gas. Works great, been using them for 20 years.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UPR5TY/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=7605394059&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16721670931337884569&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B000UPR5TY

Hope this helps...I would love to hear what you do for your winter checklist.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES