SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rusty_blackhaw

Hardy cacti in the perennial garden

rusty_blackhaw
14 years ago

How many gardeners here are incorporating cacti and other succulents into their gardens in colder zones (i.e. above zone 8)?

I am experimenting in a small way with Opuntia polycantha 'Red Glory'. I started a small plant from seed a few years ago. It put on scanty growth indoors and didn't impress much even with a summer outdoors, and I didn't bother bringing the pot in from the patio a couple of autumns ago. Much to my surprise it sprouted new pads come spring, so I transplanted it to a favorable well-drained spot and it has come through the winter (which featured a couple of lows to -12F or so) and now is showing fresh growth.

A local nursery has a big patch of some kind of Opuntia in a raised bed by its front entrance and it flowers nicely every year.

I am wary of these plants because of their nasty little mini-spines (glochids) which can get embedded in your skin and are hard to remove. The flowers of my variety may be worth the risk.

Another experimental planting (of a small hardy agave, A. parryi) looks to have failed. I might try again with a bigger and better protected specimen and hope for relatively mild winters until it gets established.

Your experiences?

Comments (5)