SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidld_gw

Repairing rusty mower deck using JB weld

davidld
17 years ago

My trusty but old (15+ year Sears Tecumseh) trimming mower is starting on the first pull and running fine, but there are perforations developing in the deck. The deck still seems structurally rigid overall, and I am loathe to set a mower curbside that is running this well.

I have been considering options for repairing the half dozen little holes and rusty spots. The underside is so rusty and dirty it would be nearly impossible to get any material to stick and a ton of work too.

I have been reading of the wonders of JB weld and the places people are using it. They glue bolts to damaged screws and then back them out, for example. My old favoirite for this kind of situation is Plastic Steel but the problem with that is that once you open the tube it dries out and a few weeks later you have a tube of plastic rock.

Well anyway yesturday I splurged on a JB weld packet and a can of some fancy Krylon rustproofing aluminum paint. Cost was about $8.50 for the two ($4 for the paint and $4.49 for the JB).

I first sanded down the rusty and perforated areas using my pad sander, then mixed the JB weld applying it on top of each perforation and the surrounding area using both a plastic knife and a Popsicle stick. After letting this cure for a few hours, the rust proofing aluminum paint went over the top. Then the whole thing has been curing overnite.

The repair isnt perfect--where the JB weld went creates a rough patch you can see and the shiny paint tends to accentuate this. I could sand it a little and apply another coat of paint I guess.Or I could spray paint the mower with flat black or gray.

Since the remaining JB weld isn't mixed this should stay ok all summer and if another perforation shows up I will simply repeat the process.The whole deck seems pretty solid overall right now.

I dont expect the mower engine or deck to last forever, but if I keep at it I may get another year or two out of it.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions