SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jttorn

Craftsman 917.275661 only starts with jump, electrical issues?

jttorn
10 years ago

I own a 10+ year old Craftsman Lawn Tractor model # 917.275661. 20 HP, OHV Kohler engine.

Last fall, I had to jump it off my truck to get it to start, other times it would start on its own. Before storing for winter, I burned up all the fuel in the tank, changed the oil, and removed the battery. This spring, I filled with fresh fuel, fully charged the two-year old battery, changed the spark plug, air filter, and cleaned all positive and negative terminals on battery and to and from the battery and solenoid, etc.

When I try to start the tractor it clicked for a few seconds, the flywheel moves a few inches and then nothing. The flywheel moves freely by hand with the spark plug removed and there is compression (verified from inserting finger in spark plug hole and spinning flywheel).

Also, I am not handy with all the electrical tests and such but I am getting full 12 amps when using multimeter on battery. I performed a few tests (that I googled) on both the starter and the solenoid using jumper cables and it does not appear that these are the sources of my problem. Starter does not engage when "bridging" solenoid with screw driver, tells me solenoid should be fine right? The starter engages when using cables directly from battery. I know this is not the most technically sound tests but hey, I have serious limitations. I do have an old set of multimeters but there are so many settings on it that I don�t even know where to start or if I should use Ohms or DC or what to test solenoid, etc.

But anyway, yesterday I started the tractor (with a jump from truck) and let it run for 20-30 minutes. Runs like a top. Then I turned it off, attempt to start it again after a minute and you guessed it��click, click, click...nothing.

Further googles and a few lost hairs later, I seen something about the STATOR possibly being fried, maybe due to jumping the mower with my truck. Should I replace this or is there something else I should try first?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County