SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696490

Raised bed PROBLEM with grass growing in it

User
16 years ago

So we got a new raised bed this winter; I was very excited about it. The bed was on a serious slope. Because I didn't feel we were well qualified to attempt that, and b/c by the time we could swing the project it was Christmastime, I farmed out a part of the project. I couldn't see us keeping our 2 kiddos outside for prolonged periods of time and the bed is near the street...etc

So we hired someone to do part of the work. Please don't hate me. I instructed him what to do on his portion and basically, he did the digging out of the grassy area that was there and brought over the compost, topsoil and sand mixture. We don't have a truck so that worked just fine.

When we went to plant the bareroots around Easter, we were shocked to see that there were a lot of small roots in the soil, kind of what you would find in grass. We had to get the things planted but I felt a little panicked.

Anyway, we got the guy to come by tonight to check out the bed and he dug down a foot or two. He also found the same, these pieces of turf that actually had green grass on them even though they are not even exposed to light.

So one concern is whether those fine roots are going to present a problem for my roses and perennials that will be growing in the bed. Number two problem is how do I keep the grass from coming up in the bed and how to deal with trying to remove it.

I hope I am explaining this adequately.

Comments (13)