SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

An adventure to the dump

sunnysideuphill
14 years ago

So the Toyota shortbed - an '86 workhorse - was full - as in, towering over the roof of the cab - with the prunings from that monster Polareis. And the dump (oops, recycling center) is about 4 miles away....how to get there, without losing the load?

I found a vinyl tarp in the barn. Clueless about its origins, but 8 years after losing him, I keep finding cool things the late DH acquired. It has grommets. But no rope. Then - noticed the bungee cords I bought for kayak trip packing. Connected the little ones, managed to tie down the pile, two to a side, hooking the cord to the underside of the truck bed. (Why didn't Toyota put little metal loops there?)

Off to the dump, in second gear, 20 mph. Scary billowing of the tarp, but it all holds.

I get to the dump, and it only takes three tries to back the truck up close to the brush pile (distinct from the compost pile). I just can't get the sense of how long my "butt" is, backing up the truck. So afraid of hitting something (brush???) that I always stop short. But I eventually got right up to it.

Proud to have remembered to throw a rake in the back, and when I got there, took off cord/tarp, hooked the rake into the heap. And OMG, it all came off in one GIANT TUMBLEWEED thing. Really glad I thought of the tarp - can you imagine being the innocent driver in back of me, when I hit the high spot on the road, with the wind catching the pile?

Anyway - just one of those things that must be hohum to most folks, but makes me feel super-confident in my ability to problem solve.

And Polareis looks terrific.

Comments (7)