SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

To Buy or To Build,,..that is the question...

rjinga
16 years ago

I'm torn between trying to use the materials I have collected (double and triple paned sliding glass doors) And then building a frame, foundation etc with them...

OR....

Spending some $$ and buying the Harbor Frieght GH kit either 6x8 or 10x12...and then getting someone to help me build it.

Which is actually another area of debate for me...how big of a GH do I need, will I have regrets with the smaller one if I end up getting it, and wish I'd spent a few hundred more and got the bigger one?

Either way I go...will I be able to do this on my own, with some ability to work with tools, etc. or will iI bet better off in hiring a professional/handyman to help me? (I can probably get some help from my family members, and or/ DH) with either option, if I beg enough.

What I want to do in the GH, at least initially is winter my patio plants and tropical trees (last year my garage was FULL of plants, and big pots are such a burden to move in and out)....then I'd like a central place to grow seeds (on a very small scale) Then I'd like to be able to grow a few veggies (lettuce etc) and other things maybe in the winter (probably not this winter) but eventually....And finally I'd like to get a head start on spring plantings....IF I get motivated enough....I'd like to have the option at very least.

If anyone can offer any thoughts, suggestions, ideas etc. to help me make this decision on what might be best a pre-fab GH or a homemade one...and then what size will work best?

RE: the home made GH...I'd be using sliding glass doors (that would be fixed in place, not moving), overall dimensions for this would be in the range of 8x10, probably some type of light weight roofing material, like a corregated plastic type, maybe even a polycarbonate if I can get it for a reasonable price...for the flooring, I'll likely use bricks or gravel...I'd like to have a good amount of head space so I might consider building the foundation up some.... I would also have to incorporate some windows and/or vents for proper ventilation....

I hope this is enough details to get some response...I guess I'm looking for some practical pros and cons to both options....as well as some ideas of how much size is recommended for the amateur....either way I go, I'll do whatever it takes to make the structure sound and sturdy....

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH