SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martys_joy

Planting roses and wild flower seeds

martys_joy
16 years ago

New to the site. HI :)

I planted a Rose Bush today. J&P " Carmel Kisses" Mini Rose. I am new at this. I bought my home last year. Was too late to plant. I "think" Spring has finally arrived where I live. I am finger's crossed. Live in S.E. Michigan. I bought my house from an elderly gal who " loved" to garden. Was her passion to take care of her flowers. "She" I am attempting to live up to. I know she put a lot of love and attention into her flowers. I cleaned out an area she had created in a circle round the light post in the front yard. I know for sure Hostas is planted and tulips are already coming up (within the circle). She was in her 90's when I bought the house. Yard has not been maintained properly in 15 yrs at best, she was too old. Tons of weeds,crab grass you name it, its there. In the circle, I weeded, the soil is very rich and dark. As I dug I found lots of dormant Grubs, slugs and earthworms. I know last summer I had ton's of June bugs flying around the front yard. I planted the Mini Rose bush where it would not interfere with the tulips popping up. I planted "seeds" in the dirt too. "Licorice Mint, Sunset Hyssop "

What to how to - Get rid of the Grubs? and How to keep the Roses Bush Healthy? Its in direct sun area. 6-7 hours at Min. We just broke 59 degree's today - first time this year.

I bought a bag of Bone Meal. Did not use it. I keep reading Yes and No of what to and what not to do when planting a new rose bush. I have 3 " Star Roses" still in the box, yet to plant. I bought them yesterday. Cary Grant, Marmalade Sky, and Climbing Flutterbye. I want to plant them within the wood fence line -(north-south running fence). Last year the fence line was filled with one side deep purple Iris the other Tiger Lily's. Tons of Weeds that have roots like carrots and spread on the ground ..like insane. They lay flat and have little teeny green/maroon framed leaves. The entire area was weed infested, I pulled all I could last year before fall. Should I fore go that space for my Star Roses? Its all weeded and clear as of today. The Iris's/Tiger lily's are coming up through the earth.

Working in the front yard today Was Awesome. Sun on my shoulders, no coat, listening to Kenny Chesney, getting dirty with the earth ... My wonderful neighbor came over to say Hello. We chatted and then she told Me.. Honey I don't think anyone told you. She said with with sadness, Marty passed away 3 wks ago. Marty is the elderly gal I bought my house from, she lived here for 58yrs. She was put in a assisted care facility when the house sold. She said I think she just Missed her House and her Garden and it was not the same for her. In her honor, I will do my best. I have a lot of Work ahead of me. My intent is to bring this yard back to life...keep it Beautiful as it was for years.

I need some Sage from the Gardeners on this site - anything you can offer, I will appreciate.

K

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert