SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djkswiss

Passive Solar Greenhouse

djkswiss
12 years ago

I would like any comments/suggestions that people have on these solar greenhouse plans.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/5eqP4b/aes.missouri.edu/bradford/education/solar-greenhouse/solar-greenhouse.php

I have free yellow pine at my disposal, I understand that this is not a very rot resistant species. What do you think of me painting it with an oil base first. I plan on using concrete posts, with pressure treated lumber for the sill as they did in the plans. I also plan on insulating the perimeter of the greenhouse floor with rigid foam. Rather than having electric venting I am hoping to add some temperature controlled automatic vent openers to the north roof and a window on the opposite side of the door.

I want to have a super insulated north wall, I have seen people do strawbale for the north wall but this seems like a bad environment for straw, especially on the north wall with no sun to dry it out. I am thinking of doing r-19 bats and possibly adding rigid foam over the bats later on. I also plan on insulating the east and west walls.

Thanks for reading!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting