SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caldwde

Stains on Cedar Pergola

caldwde
14 years ago

I just recently constructed a Pergola on my deck using treated lumber for the main structure, and cedar to wrap the beam and create a planter box around two of the post.

The cedar was treated with Cabot Australian Timber oil series 3400. The inside of the planters are lined with a plastic sheeting to protect the wood from the moisture. To add a little character, I used copper sheeting to wrap around the beams above the planter and I also placed copper plates in the center of the planter walls.

Within one month, the cedar on the planter walls has begun to spot with dark stains. At first I thought it was dirt stains from rain splashing off my deck and figured that I could simply clean it off, but come to find out it is coming off easily. My next thought was with the copper accent peices, could this be causing the discoloration? Some sort of reaction to the untreated copper? I came to this idea based on the fact that the walls with the copper plates that have design worked in to them have more staining then the other sides.

Any feedback on possible causes, as well as possible remedies would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (2)