SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Question about 22' golf cart tires

catherinet
13 years ago

Hi all,

This seemed like an appropriate place to ask this.

Last Fall, we bought a golf cart that was lifted about 6" and has 22" tires on it, so we could get around our large acreage. Plus, my knees are bad and its a wonderful way for me to work around the property.

I assumed the tires were new, since they looked so good, but now I'm wondering.

We haven't been rough with the cart. This winter, the 2 back tires went flat just while it was sitting in the shed. As it turns out, even when they look totally full, their pressure is very low. I filled them to 20# and the next day the pressure was low again.

I washed them and did the soapy water test with them, and they have a couple leaks in the deep tread, but one tire has about 7 small holes in the sidewall, fairly high up.

Makes me wonder if they were there when we bought the cart.

Anyhow......is it routine with these kinds of leaks, to just put an inner tube in, maybe after putting some sticky stuff inside the tire, to plug the holes?

I'm going to take the tires to the tire store tomorrow, but wanted to educate myself a little first.

Its hard to believe that these big, thick tires are so fragile. We haven't abused them at all.....mostly riding it around the field and on paths through the woods.

Any suggestions? I want to repair them so they'll last awhile. Don't want to have to buy new ones. They aren't cheap.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

Sponsored