SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkaiser_gw

new tractor purchase advice

mkaiser
15 years ago

I have a bunch of questions on purchasing a new garden tractor, IÂll try to keep it brief but may get a little longwinded, here it goesÂ

Never purchased a new tractor, last one was a Lawn Chief, ran it for over 10 years mowing grass and blowing snow in southwest MI, can you believe it?

A little background info to start; I mow ¾ acre, and plan on using the tractor to plow snow out of my driveway also. The driveway is a typical suburb tarmac drive, about 10 feet wide by 70 feet long. The biggest problem with plowing the driveway will be what the big plow leaves in the end of the driveway. Considering Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, and Toro.

HereÂs the questions:

1. WhatÂs the best engine between the different Kohlers (command, courage, etc) and Briggs and Strattons (intek, vanguard, endurance, etc)? Is this a Ford and Chevy argument?

2. I plan on pushing snow also (blade), so does this take the single cylinders out of the question?

3. Brands: Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Toro, are they all comparable, does it come done to having a service center close by and/or features on the tractor? Which brand gives you the best bang for the buck value?

4. Does either of the above mentioned brands have better components that the rest (tranny, frame, etc)?

5. Are the tractors you buy at the big box stores different (lower quality even though same brand) than the independent dealers?

6. Anyone know anything about the Briggs and Stratton engines made specifically for Cub Cadets and Tractor Supply, are they really something better than the other engines?

What IÂm most concerned with is getting a tractor thatÂs going to handle pushing the snow out of the end of the driveway. I really donÂt think IÂll have a problem clearing the length of the driveway off beyond the sides, IÂm just not sure about busting through 12"-18" snow left behind by the big plows with a little plow. Really donÂt want to buy a separate walk behind blower or really expensive blower for a new tractorÂ

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions