SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

Providing Protection to Legacy Properties and Collections

brandon7 TN_zone7
15 years ago

I can't remember if this has been discussed on this forum very much or not, but a recent post by Sam_md about the history of Belt Woods, made me think about this.

Sam wrote,

"A few posters here touched on the topic of "Belt Woods" but nobody has really delved into the whole story. It can only be described as a conservation nightmare. Here's how I remember it:

Seton Belt owned 515 acre farm 15 miles east of Washington DC. This contained a North and a South Woods tract of VIRGIN GROWTH it had never been cut nor plowed. He was very protective of it. When he died in 1959 Belt stipulated in his will that the property was never to be logged. He left it to the Episcopal Church along with $10,000,000. WHAT WAS HE THINKING???????? In 1981 the will was broken and the North Woods was logged.

The tiny 43 acre South Woods is all the virgin growth that is left and is managed by the Western Shore Conservancy. One can understand why they are very protective of it. Volunteers can go in on Saturdays and help remove weeds like honeysuckle and winged euonymus.

Only 30 miles south is the Chapman Forest which is open to the public. It is preserved and owned by state of Maryland. This contains 2,000 diverse acres much of which is Old Growth bordering the Potomac River. Antebellum Mt. Aventine estate is also there along with lots of bald eagles. I'll take Chapman's any day over the tiny relic which is known as Belt Woods."

Has anyone on this forum given much thought to how to preserve their property or plant collection after they are gone or when they are no longer able to care for it. Is anyone familiar with any good examples of plans that worked?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH