SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigtruckerdave

Dr Huey rootstock

bigtruckerdave
11 years ago

I know that many of you are passionate about not growing roses which have been grafted. Talking about grafted roses with others who grow roses is like smoking while pumping gas. Someone's gonna get hurt so I don't wanna go there. I've grown roses since 2004 and have never had a bush revert to the rootstock. I've never even had a sucker which originates from below the graft. However, I've had a huge number of suckers which pop up about 2 to 3 feet from the bush. I remove them by pushing aside the mulch and soil and with a gloved hand I rip the sucker out. This ususally removes some of the root which is growing parallel to the ground and radiating out from the bush. Today I found enormous suckers growing about 3 feet from where I removed 2 Alba Maximas in the spring of 2012. And they were grafted on Dr Huey. Does any one else have this problem? I can't find anything in the literature about this. Only references to suckers originating from below the graft. Almost all my roses are grafted, even the Albas, Gallicas, and Hybrid Rugosas. Is it possible that growers will advertise Dr Huey as the rootstock and then use other types and hope no one notices? Or is this habit of suckering like a Gallica rose also a behavior possessed by Hybrid Wichurana's? I'm concerned because I have about a dozen Hybrid Wichurana I plan to incorporate into the yard this year and I don't want them suckering all over the place. Any thoughts?

Comments (7)