SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_w_ny

I have a $70 credit with Hortico.

jim_w_ny
15 years ago

Double billed me last year.

At their new prices, up quite a bit from last year, that is roughly 5 roses.

All of a sudden I have this impulse to make a new bed. I've explored almost every possibility for rose beds in my garden. Having shallow soil, quite a bit of shade, those possibilities are limited.

My new idea is for a stone edged bed around a really old maple tree. It is down to one old limb with a huge old trunk. The other limbs have rotted off or blown off. The trunk really needs something to hide and distract the eye.

I'm thinking about moving Scharlachlut a big red single from a spot with really shallow spot (6") which not surprisingly has not done well. It has brilliiant big, single (4.7") flowers and gets to 10'. Being a once bloomer moving it would be a plus as I wouldn't have to wait a year for it to bloom. Next I'm thinking about Dr. Eckener also a big rose, 8' with a strong fragrance and a nice cupped pinkish yellow flowers. As a front rose I'm attracted to Bassino which supposedly flowers all over the plant and is a ground cover. Spill over the stone wall?

Did I mention that the area is sleeply slanted and would need a raised bed. Nice soil which would be something to look forward to.

Thats' three roses. Haven't figured what else. Maybe something for another bed.

Comments (33)