SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leira_gw

child-sized pitchfork?

leira
12 years ago

I like to turn my compost with a pitch fork (a.k.a. digging/spading fork). My 2.5-year-old really wants to help, and doesn't understand that her leaf rake, even though it has tines, won't function like a pitchfork. It turns out that a small shovel is also difficult to use for the task. I've managed to find (sturdy, functional, "real") kid-sized versions of pretty much every other garden tool -- spade, hoe, garden rake, leaf rake, trowels -- but I'm having no luck with a pitch fork. I thought I could get away with this...but then it got to be compost-turning time.

The Internet tells me that it's possible to find child-sized manure or "muck" forks, but having never seen one in person, I don't know if the tines are sturdy enough for the task. I think that some sort of "weeding fork" might do the trick, if I could find one with a long enough handle.

I'd like to find something that will last from now until she's big enough to use an adult version. I don't want to spend a fortune on it unless, maybe, it's some sort of tool that I, personally, would also find useful for the long haul (like the small-sized garden spade I got for her, which I'd been considering getting for myself for use in the raised beds).

Any ideas? I'm starting to consider crazy ideas like attaching a PVC handle to one of those "turkey lifter" forks.

Thanks!

Comments (15)