SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hukturn

Khler CH20 Idle

hukturn
13 years ago

I am having difficulty with the idle/run of my Kohler CH20S w/1bbl carb (in a Kubota GR2000). Governor will adjust (choke out) periodically (about every 10 seconds or 15 seconds w/choke on). When this happens, engine chokes down to near stop but recovers, unless under load (blades engaged, hard turns). Some light black smoke when first starting and/or when I throttle up quickly. Engine/carburetor seems to have the most difficulty when at operating temperature and/or when under load. Runs/idles fine when cool (at startup) but has problems after about 5min of running. Runs/idles fine for longer period of time when at low idle. Seems to also have difficulty maintaining RPM when travelling up/down hills. I am not operating at high altitudes. I would not describe the overall idle as "rough" but it is also not "smooth". Automatic choke was not opening fully (possibly 20degree butterfly), so I added a spring to allow full (90degree butterfly) opening when choke lever is disengaged. Thoughts?

Some things already done;

Changed plugs

Checked spark and has nice blue fire

Adjusted the float levels (no cracks/holes)

Adjusted external governor spring (there is tension on governor rod, so it is engaging)

Good fuel flow up to carburetor (and bowls have fuel)

Slow speed jet O-Rings are good

Oil level is good

Removed fuel filter and air filter for testing during repair (still problems)

Comments (3)

• User
    13 years ago

Dump the gas and get fresh gas... no matter how good you think the gas in the tank is.

Check fuel cap vent if it has one. If no cap vent check for a tank vent hose and see that it's clear.

Do you have an accurate tach to see what RPMS you're calling idle? IIRC the idle speed is 1200. If the speed is low those V twins can lope quite a lot.

• hukturn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thnx, Justalurker. Gas is fresh. I tried running w/fuel cap off and still had problems. But, like I said previously, plenty of fuel pumping as far as line into carburetor. Added a fuel cleaner tonight & carb cleaner to external parts of carburetor & down the venturi...nada. I am running out of ideas.
    I do not have a tach to attach. I am less concerned about the RPM @ idle as I am about the inability to run @ idle (or at full throttle). Will run for quite some time @ 1/2 throttle, but will eventually give out. And will give out at any throttle when introduce load (ie; mower blades).

• User
    13 years ago

Sounds like you're losing one cylinder.

On the CH20 you should have hydraulic lifters. If one is marginal that may cause the problem.

You could be losing spark on one side under load and after warming up.

Sponsored
More Discussions