SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thickleon

Caftsman GT electric clutch intermittently engaging

thickleon
13 years ago

Hey guys,

I have a Model No. 917.288480 garden tractor with an electric clutch to engage/disengage a 42" snow thrower.

I noticed this problem during our last snow storm.

The clutch always makes some sort of noise when you pull it out. I watch the belt that is hooked up to the snow thrower when I pull the engage switch. You can see that the clutch will always make the belt go tight when the switch is pulled out, but the belt does not move every time. Infact, it takes quite a few times to get the belt to move. I also did a test where I put a sand bag and heavy weight on my seat to allow me to engage the clutch and to look under the tractor while doing so. Just as I explained above, when the belt does not move, the clutch is not grabbing the drive and not moving. So, it's not like the belt is getting locked up at that point.

Another point I'd like to make is that once the clutch is engaged and moving, it keeps going strong until I push the switch in, to disengage.

I looked around this board pretty good, and I could not see this specific problem. I look forward to learning from you guys.

Thanks,

Dave

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions