SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

adding gas shut off valve

Hi Folks,

After the recent exercise in getting the carb clean in the Briggs on the tiller, it's got me thinking about the gas/ethanol mix we're being subjected to. Ethanol ain't going to go away that's for sure. I've read a number of posts wherein the recommendation was to only buy enough fuel to use over the weekend, pour the remainder in your car and don't keep it around, particularly in your engines. While a good idea, just not practical for most of us.

I'm thinking of adding an inexpensive (UH-OH....)fuel shut off on some of my stuff, especially the ones with the "EPA" carbs as they don't really take well to cleaning. Did a search online and "Arnold GSV 200" is all over the place priced from $4.99 up to $11.99 (at Arnold's website?). It looks small enough to be easily added. After use, the valve could be closed and the engine allowed to run dry. That will keep the crap out of the carb.

I don't know anything about Arnold other than noticed their stuff at hardware stores-generic spark plugs, etc. So their quality may be questionable.

Alternately, it may be better to make adding some injector/carb cleaner to the gas at every fill up as a way to stay ahead of this problem.

It's probably my imagination, but the two cycle engines I have don't seem as prone to this problem? I'm particularly concerned with the tiller as it's used heavily in spring and fall only. Trying to get the gas out of it either by disconnecting the fuel line and draining, or putting a siphon hose in the tank seems cumbersome. With my luck, putting a siphon hose in the tank would probably deposit some crud in there....:-)

Also thought of adding an inline filter, but don't think that would do anything about the ethanol sitting in the carb?

Attached a link which shows a picture of the valve.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Arnold GSV 200

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions