SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigfatdrunk

Greenhouse in heavy shade

bigfatdrunk
14 years ago

Hi all,

Let me know if more information is helpful as I have a question about possibly using a greenhouse in heavy shade.

I've had a container garden for about five years - containers because I back onto a creek, and the soil isn't thick. For the first three years, the garden produced decently, but for the last two, it's been pretty awful (for example, three jalapenos off three plants).

My yard is heavily shaded with one area getting about 4-5 hours of direct, mostly afternoon sun. For the entire yard, that's about as good as it gets.

The current location of the "garden" is on the south-east side of my house, though morning sun is fairly blocked by old, established oaks.

In such a scenario, would I have anything to gain by trying to setup a greenhouse in this location in the yard? It would be free-standing, but I'm afraid I can do no better than the aforementioned 4-5 hours of sun. In searching the forums, it looks like 6 hours is minimal for a greenhouse to be effective.

Any help/guidance is much appreciated, and please ask if you need more information.

Thanks!

Comments (2)